Shower wastes

Just got a 3.99 shower waste from Screwfix, and it only comes with one big grooved rubber washer. Does this go below the shower tray, and if so, what (if anything) seals between the chrome bit and the top of the tray? I somehow don't think I'd get a very helpful answer from Screwfix.
I think I'd better leave the trap easily accessible just to be safe.
--
Kevin Poole
**Use current month and year to reply (e.g. snipped-for-privacy@mainbeam.co.uk)***
Autolycus wrote:

I bought a sink waste from B&Q a while ago that came with one grooved washer as yours did. The instructions said that the washer should go at the top between the sink and the chrome bit and use plumbers mait on the bottom. I did this but it looked crap as the washer raised the chrome bit too much. I took it all out again, put some plumbers mait around the chrome bit and put the washer at them bottom and it looked better and worked fine (no leaks!)

Mine looked crap with washer on top. So I did washer on the bottom and silicone sealant on the top (as well as generous silicone underneath on washer as well). That was 5 years ago and last time I looked under the shower (during decorating, not just as something to pass the time) all was fine and dry.

The bottom. I don't always bother sealing the top. As long as the bottom is sealed, there's nowhere for the water to go except down the drain.
Christian.

That's just what I thought, until I found that the water was coming down through the threads!

I've always found about 1kg of silicone sealant does wonders for wastes.
Christian.

Which only goes to show why the suppliers suggest putting the washer above the base. That way sealing the retaining nut thread is irrelevant.
--
Roger Chapman

The problem is that this method doesn't work with integral overflow types, like modern basins and Belfast sinks.
Christian.
Christian McArdle wrote:

I think its fair to say that it is pretty unlikely you will get a leak free seal wherever you put the washer without using silicone or plumbers mait or the likes.
On Tue, 23 Aug 2005 13:30:29 +0100, "Autolycus"

I fitted something similar a while ago.
- Bead of silicone sealer around the waste, then insert into tray. - Small bead of silicone sealer on underside of tray around fitting - Add washer - Another small bead of sealer - Add nut and tighten
--

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

S'what I've done in (long pause, with muttering), 4 sinks, 2 baths and 2 showers. I've never had a leak. At least, not this kind.