Demise of www.seconds.co.uk

Big sign on website of

saying:

Unfortunately, "seconds" boards are no longer available. This is due to Building Regulations requirement for BBA Certification.

Not good. Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

In article , sm snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com writes

Indeed, my initial reaction was one of "only grade A boards now available, to be fitted in a grade B manner by your local builder", this based on seeing random batts of insulation thrown into a timber frame with huge air gaps on a trade job.

I notice though that their 'sister company' has the same phone number so it could be more of a re-branding/diversification exercise. I wonder if a phone call requesting seconds for a non controlled project (shed?) would bear any fruit.

Reply to
fred

It is a "spoiler" website owned by a supplier of 'A' grade boards hoping to put competitors out of business. The real seconds and co is at

They were very much still in business when I used them recently.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

Wow. seconds.co.uk has been recommended at various times in this group. Did they use to sell seconds ? Is the BBA certification thing completely made up ? SImon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

I don't know the history.

may have been a genuine supplier once. Their website certainly claims as such. However, it is now used as a feeder site to a standard insulation supplier.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

The *real* 'Seconds and Co'? Looking at the following snapshot of

in October 2000 show that 'Seconds and Co (Southern) Ltd' have been around a number of years, and they certainly used to sell 'B-grade' boards...

Mathew Newton

Looking at the wayback archive they seems to have had a web site cached since at least 2000 - so chances are they were legit.

The front page in May 2004 looked like:

John Rumm

Is that legal? It's certainly unethical - can it be traced so we could name & shame?

Dave

Reply to
david lang

It does appear that there were genuinely two different companies called "seconds and co" in the same business. One has shut down and the other is still in business.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

Not that I _know_ anything; ... but I thought Companies House' or whomsoever 'registers' company's names insisted on them being _different_ : sort of Acme Widgets (Camberwick Green) Ltd and Acme Widgets (Trumpton) Ltd.

Reply to
Brian Sharrock

One is definitely "Seconds and Co (Southern) Ltd."

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

You can look up the owner of the website at

Huge

The URLs are in there in the thread and if you bothered to look you'll see that they are different. "Seconds & Co Insulation Products" != "Seconds & Co (Southern) Ltd"

MBQ

Reply to
manatbandq

Not so long ago, I wanted some tech info on a loft ladder which screwfix were selling. They told me the name of the company and phone number so I could ask them. When I was going to phone them I didn't have the piece of paper with me, so I looked for that company on the web. I found them, rang up, and they told me I'd be better off buying one of their 'proper' ladders as the ones they sold through screwfix weren't up to much. I thought this was a bit odd, and when I found the piece of paper, the phone numbers didn't match up. One company had started up selling ladders, there had been some argument between directors and they'd split off into two companies with almost exactly the same name, one of which was happy to give misinformation to try to pinch business off the other. Small world, Northampton, eh? Needless to say the guy from the real screwfix supplier was pretty annoyed when he found out, and the screwfix ladder turned out to be quite a nice piece of kit.

Reply to
Nottingham Jon

I refer the reader to Fodens and ERF ...

Reply to
Huge

why should I have looked ... at specifics .. ?

.... so you've confirmed that the original statement to which I responded viz; " .. genuinely two different companies called "seconds and co" in the same business" was indeed wrong. The two companies have different names.

I was addressing the generality ... you've stuck to the specifics.

Thank you!

Reply to
Brian Sharrock

-- Chantel

Reply to
Chantel

Having used 'B' grade boards, I'd be surprised, though. The defects were all cosmetic.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle