Heat Pump v. Oil

I have fit a new central heating system, and was considering oil+rads as the simplest and cheapest option (no mains gas). From what I can gather, oil is around 35p a litre at the moment, and is rumoured to be heading towards 50p by the end of the year.

It seems that a heat pump + under floor heating might be a viable alternative despite the larger capital outlay. With a c.o.p of 4:1 , a kwh becomes pretty cheap on Economy 7, and not too bad otherwise. I suppose that even taking the c.o.p with a pinch of salt, and installing economy 7, you might get away with 2p/kWh on average - about half the price of oil?

LGF

Reply to
legrandfromage

I have only limited experience of heat pumps but I would certainly work on lower cop values see this

Rupert

Have a look at:

Also try asking on the forum at:

cheers, Pete.

Reply to
Pete C

I worked out the payback period of heatpumps at current prices, its a very long time, many years longer than the guarentee on the product. This has turned me off a bit, but with no gas, and oil deliverys only possible in summer, I am at a bit of a loss.

Rick

Reply to
Rick

Probably worth having UFH and laying ground loops if hiring a digger or before sorting garden, then it would be easier to change over at some point in future.

Wonder if it's possible to get S/H oil boilers, some must come available as more villages get gas.

Also helps if more insulation can be added to hedge against rising energy prices.

cheers, Pete.

Reply to
Pete C