Domestic heating oil: Smaller quantities

Anyone know whether there is a trend to buying domestic heating oil in smaller quantities, say 500 litres instead of 1000 litres? I know of one or two households that are doing this, but I don't know how widespread it is. This is in part due to the high cost (some people just don't have the ready money for a full tank) and partly because people expect a bigger winter fuel payment from the government. However, the price per litre is usually around 3% more expensive when one buys the smaller volume.

MM

Reply to
MM

I think there is a trend for precisely te reasons cited. Also people hope the price will drop back a little, and it might.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Might local suppliers have to trim the litre price differential on 500 versus 1000 litres in order to get the custom?

MM

Reply to
MM

Shouldn't think so. The differential is there to pay for the tankers diesel making the delivery trip which is the same for 500l or 2000. The smaller delivery has fewer litres on which to recover that cost.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

================================== There's a report today in my local paper of thefts of domestic heating oil and diesel so maybe people are keeping lower stocks to minimise potential loss. The report concerns parts of Cornwall, but other areas could be affected.

Cic.

Reply to
Cicero

Crikey - not the easiest thing to steal.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Report in the paper today about a reposessed and unoccupied house where thieves dismantled and took away a conservatory.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Did they demolish the front porch too? ;-)

Don.

Reply to
cerberus

But there may come a point when too many households put off buying oil in the larger volumes, thus forcing the differential down. Put it this way, if you were a local supplier, would you rather have three x 500 litre deliveries today than none at all?

Also, electricity is now cheaper. My immersion heater has never been so happy as it is right now.

MM

Reply to
MM

That is, of course, another consideration. Oil tanks tend to be some distance from the house, often in a secluded part of the back garden that still needs access for the delivery bowser's hose. That is also enough access for thieves. I've read elsewhere that it is not recommended to lock the filler cap, because then the thieves simply punch a hole in the tank so that you end up with the cost of the purloined oil AND the cost of a new tank. Maybe the best idea is to shield the tank so that it is not visible. There are also reports of thieves following bowsers as they wend their way to their deliveries. After all, how might YOU know whether that vehicle behind is up to no good?

MM

Reply to
MM

When a 1000 litre filling is worth upwards of £550, it's a risk that some, obviously, are prepared to take. Even if they got only a quarter of the value, it's easy pickings. Dunno how they manage to find "clients", though, because if anyone knocked on my door and said they'd got a "spare 200 litres" going cheap, I'd know they weren't from BP or Shell!

MM

Reply to
MM

Most people would. Doesn't mean they wouldn't take it though.

Reply to
Bob Mannix

If someone knocked on the door offering oil I wouldn't take it and would be on the phone to the Police PDQ with registration numbers, description etc.

Mind you why does some have to sell on? Stealing and putting in your own tank would be pretty profitable at 50p+/l...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Maybe that's why the tanker I followed almost all the way from Carlisle to Alston pulled over in a layby just before Alston... And yes following a tanker and noting a delivery would be a good ruse, you then know that that tank is going to be pretty full.

As for method of theft, I think it's a OFTEC requirement for there to be a drain valve on the bottom the tank to let out any water that builds up from condensation or rain getting in. No need to suck it out via the filler. B-)

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Maybe but over an area the consumption of oil is pretty predictable, unless a significant number decide to switch their heating off. It's space heating that chomps through the oil rather than hot water. Summer we use about 25/l week for HW compare that to 150l/week CH and HW in the winter.

So people may bobble along with small but more frequent deliveries but the amount of oil sold is going to be much the same once people tanks are in the 500l > empty bracket.

Still need the heating on here, though it's not coming on as much as it was. This week has been cool, 5 to 10C. And our last lot of oil was just under 50p so electricity is roughly 2p/unit more expensive. But just for HW the savings are minimal and not worth the hassle.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

I can get by now with no CH and just the immersion on for 45 minutes in the morning. Ample for washing and washing-up. An extra 45 minutes twice a week for a really hot bath, otherwise I tend to get a bit whiffy.

MM

Reply to
MM

Too right. That stolen oil may be from OAPs sho haven't got insurance.

But I reckon that most thefts are by organised thieves, not impecunious OAPs.

MM

Reply to
MM

When was that, roughly? If I ordered oil today it would be around 53p a litre (for 1000).

MM

Reply to
MM

I wasn't suggesting anyone here *would* take it - apologies if seemed otherwise. Plenty that would though. Probably arranged down the pub rather than by knocking on doors though, granted.

Reply to
Bob Mannix

Ah single and living alone. I remember those days and the massive reduction in the gas bill when the time switch broke on the heating system. The well lagged tank would stay hot enough for washing/washing up for about two days and would reheat in 20mins for a bath. So went from coming on twice/day to top up the heat in the tank to less than an hour every other day or longer...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice