Propane blow lamps or torches

I've used three butane blowlamps, mainly for pipework, over the years (the sort that use disposable canisters) and all of them have been prone to flaring when you tilt them too far before they're fully warmed up.

I see that Machine Mart do a "proper" torch (Clarke FCSF109)

£23.

Anyone tried one of these? Any good? Any similar recommendations?

Reply to
Autolycus

I've used the Calor version for a number of years and have nozzles that allow me to do anything from small part soldering to paint stripping outdoors in a wind. I find the type with canisters to be a very pale imitation.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
nightjar

How much is a bottle of gas for these?

Reply to
ben

I have a similar thing made by Primus-Sievert that I bought about 25 years ago. I have small and large burners for it for plumbing and a fan shaped one for paint stripping. Works really well.

Reply to
Andy Hall

You can use the small Calor gas cylinders. A 4kg cylinder refill costs about £10, so considerably cheaper than the little cartridges.

Reply to
Andy Hall

A few years ago I found myself in the same situation having had several blowlamps, none of which I'd been happy with. In the end I bought a Primus-Sievert with piezo-electric ignition (MachineMart and Toolbank sell them). It's much better than any of the others I've used and I'm entiurely happy with it. Not had any problems with flaring either. Well worth the money.

Reply to
Tony1

How long do you reckon one of them would last paint stripping, give or take

10 minutes or a wild guess?
Reply to
ben

In message , Autolycus writes

I have the Calor equivalent that I bought about 8 years ago and it is

1000 times easier and safer to use than the canister style blow lamps. No faring and fits into smaller spaces.
Reply to
Bill

Have a look at

consumption is very dependent on the burner, but the paint stripping ones seem to be rated at around 200g/hr.

Reply to
Andy Hall

So if my maths stand up, a 4kg cylinder would run for 20 hours? Wow! For a £10? Wow again - that is really cheap.

I may well buy one!

Dave

Reply to
david lang

That'll do me nicely. :-)

Reply to
ben

That is what it appears to be. I presume that one can simply divide the rate into the cylinder refill weight, which is why the pressure is mentioned.

I guess that one could also do a comparison with other LPG appliances like a gas barbecue also running on propane by looking at kW figures.

I have never measured it in practice, although the time certainly is long. At one point I did an entire CH installation and paint stripping of all internal doors in a house, and there was still a lot of gas left in a 4kg cylinder.

The only thing to bear in mind is that you would not want to have a cylinder up a ladder......

Bear in mind that you do have to pay a cylinder deposit (IIRC also about £8-10). Generally places that sell LPG for caravan and mobile homes are a better bet than DIY stores and garden centres since they sell more of it.

What I do nowadays is to keep three cylinders and simply cycle them for torch and barbecue use. That way, I always have a full one.

Reply to
Andy Hall

£2.50+VAT

Go to your local dump and buy one. If you hunt around, you can usually find some that are half-full. I buy all my propane this way and get enough to run a gas forge, and to keep me in scrap empty cylinders for making woodstoves.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

I use a 15kg Butane on my BBQ, lasts for a bout 18 months and we BBQ quite a lot.

Just looked a Calors site, some useful BBQ advice;

a.. Tongs are invaluable for turning awkward shaped meat a.. Use a spatula to turn beef burgers and steaks. a.. Keep all your barbecuing tools handy to make cooking an easier process. a.. Good job I looked - never have thought of any of that myself :-)

Whats the practical difference between Butane & Propane?

Dave

Reply to
david lang

Propane works when it's chilly, butane doesn't as it boils at about 0C.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

In connection with this subject my son uses a Rothenberger piezo igniton torch with the MAPP gas cylinder The torch is about £60 and new cylinder about £12 in England. He has been on holiday in Florida where he saw the torches at $30 and cylinders in Walmart at $3.

Reply to
.