Butane 7.5 kg gas blow torch

I asked a question about a replacement blow torch about a week ago and got 2 replies. They were ideal except that they were for propane, but my cylinder is butane. The only butane ones I can find are small ones for little jobs, or those with the throw away cylinders. I used my for plumbing and paint stripping. Has anyone any suggestions please?

Reply to
Moonraker

I didn't see you original post. I assume you mean the blow torches with a gas hose to them. Are they not compatible with both? My caravan cooker works on both butane and propane. Just a different regulator for each gas. Nothing else is changed. I'm sure you know about the low temperature problems with butane.

John

Reply to
John

Thanks for that John, unfortunately the t blow torches with a hose all seem to specify propane. Yes I know they can freeze, but that would not be a problem for me. I assume that you cannot just swop a butane bottle for a propane one.

Reply to
Moonraker

e you mean the blow torches

You can easily swop the hose connection and use your blowtorch off butane, but a half-decent blowtorch will experience problems on small butane cylinders.

No idea what the letter of the cylinder hire regulations say, but my experience has certainly been that in practice suppliers are quite happy to swop not only propane for butane but one size of cylinder for another.

Make sure you get a regulator which covers the pressure range required by your blowtorch. Big ones can be quite fussy and an adjustable high pressure propane regulator can be very useful.

Reply to
John MacLeod

How about a Chalugaz hose torch, intended for Campingaz, see

Their L2000 attachment talks about use with butane (20kW output). You'll have to modify the cylinder attachment, unless you use a Campingaz cylinder (expensive).

I've got an old Chalugaz (not the Profil) in the garage and I think it connects straight to my 907 cylinder without a regulator. Sorry, but it's too cold to go out and look, or to try it on my Calor butane cylinder, which has a clip-on regulator :-(

Reply to
John Weston

If it is calor then you can

the 7KG Butane and Propane are in group B so can be interchanged for free.

Reply to
Toby