shower tray; alternative to silicon bead

We have an open ended walk in shower with wet wall on two sides and a glass screen. The tray is sealed using silicon but within 9 months mould appears and I have to remove the screen, clean out the old sealant and replace the silicon. I bought the most expensive Unibond anti-mould with 35 year guarantee (???) but the mould returns. We have a fan/light directly over the shower with long overrun and I open the window when possible. I think the problem is standing water at the edge of the shower (despite my best efforts; teenage daughters!) Is there an alternative to silicon? I have in mind a qaudrant sealing strip which could be abrasively cleaned and would shed water? Maybe bedded onto silicon? Thanks

Reply to
skiffer

Maybe somthing like this would help:

a Hygenic wall cladding fitter I am always looking out for ways to seal shower trays properly. Water will get get anywhere and will cause real problems in the long run, its never to late to call in some help :)

Good luck with the problem

Neil

skiffer wrote: ... snipped

I did exactly that. I filled the gap between the tray and the wall with silicone, then cut some ceramic look-alike plastic quadrant extrusion to be an accurate fit around the tray/wall joint, then put a VERY large bead of silicone on the joint and pressed the extrusion into the bead until it made contact with the wall and tray, then removed the large amount of excess 'cone. It's been several years now and looks almost "as new". I think the quadrant came from Tiles'r'us.

Reply to
NoSpam

I love the effectiveness of silicone, but hate the appearance.

I bead the shower tray/bath/basin etc to the wall, and tile OVER it, and finish with a groutline.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

How often to you clean and wash down the shower cubicle? What colour is the mould?

Reply to
Dave Liquorice