What is the proper way to apply silicon bath seal?

I always buy the highest quality silicon bath seal. The present one I'm using is Unibond High Performace Bath & Shower Sealer. It does a great job but my nightmare is its application. Even although it is one of the gun-less dispensers I just cannot get a satisfactory finish using a (water) wet stick. Other products allow me to use my finger but this stuff is a nightmare to get off your hands.

I'm trying to get a hollow smooth finish around my bath and the gap is 10mm. I have applied a first layer and now need to apply the finishing layer.

Any tips?

Beemer

Reply to
Beemer

I suggest using your finger - better control than any kind of tool, IME. But first collect some "plastic hands" (aka gloves - given away at petrol stations) and wear one of those.

Reply to
Martin

Tried all sorts of recommends - masking tape, spatulas, old pipes, spoons, etc etc. These are OK for experts, but I found that the only way for me to get a professional looking finishing was to use a 'Fuji' applicator. You lay a strip of silicone and then whizz the Fuji along the bead. It simultaneously smooths the bead and combs the surplus off the walls. Plumbworld have a little video demo at

but for once, it is as simple as it looks.

Additional tips: The sealant starts to cure within a few minutes, so have a roll of paper towels handy to keep the tool clear, to enable you to work fairly quickly. Do not be tempted to touch the silicone if it has been down more than a few minutes - if adding verticals to horizontals for instance, do the verticals when the horizontals are dry - say the next day Use meths for cleaning. You are using Unibond High Performance Bath & Shower Sealer. Have you noticed that Unibond also do an 'Ultimate Anti Mould Shower and Bathroom Sealant' - comes with a lifetime guarantee and costs about the same. Probably more suitable for your job.

Cheers

Reply to
Dennis Becker

Dennis,

This tool set looks exactly what I'm looking for!

thanks,

Beemer

Reply to
Beemer

Very similar to the Fugenboy Kit 1 BMFG1

I have the previous Fugenboy which looks exactly like the Fuji.

Anywho - it works perfectly with very little prectice.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Very expensive at £9.99 for a few pieces of mass produced plastic. Should be retailing at around £2.99 - then I would consider buying it.

Terry D.

Reply to
Terry D

Agreed Terry, it does seem like a rip off. I paid about £15 for mine a while ago - but it is definately worth the money for the results it achieves.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Tool looks exactly what I'm looking for, any other stockists apart from plumbworld, most web searches lead there, don't mind paying the price but think deliverys a rip off

Thanks

Steve

Reply to
Steve Walford

I think I saw something similar in Focus DIY, for £9.99 on the talking display stand. They also have this at £1.99

Harry Stottle

Harry,

Do you know if the £1.99 type was flexible or hard plastic?

Beemer

Reply to
Beemer

Can't help there, I only found it on the Focus webpage when I was searching for the £9.99 kit.

Reply to
Harry Stottle

Try here

or

George

Reply to
mercr3

When ever i have used silicone i have always snipped the end cap on a slight angle and in one go with an even pressure , bit like down hand welding , applied the silicone . I let gravity do the rest . One thing is crucial , all joints must be totally dry and clean . I use a hairdryer or hot air gun . Just my tuppence .

Reply to
Bluesplayer