What is the best way to seal a dryer vent pipe??

We just took out our old gas dryer and there was a scary amount of lint behind it. (Probably released a lot of lint into the house, too). When I installed it about 10 yrs. ago, I had sealed all the joints in the 4" galvanized vent elbow at the back of the dryer - with regular duct tape. Is there a tape I can buy that won't dry out and get brittle over the years?? If I get desperate enough I'm going to seal it with silicone this time.

Thanks for any help.

Bob

Reply to
wizard2

Ask for metal tape at the hardware store. Tom

Reply to
tom

you might try one of those hose clamps... @one house where I lived they used a large piece of metal wire that held the hse tightly.

Reply to
Muvin Gruvin

I agree with Tom. There is aluminum tape specifically made to seal hot ducting.

Reply to
louie

Use the metal tape as suggested. It is made for ducts, unlike duct tape. It will stick better and last longer. Don't use any screws as they are a cause of lint build up.

You might want to build in a T at one or more places along the line so you can clean out the line easier.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

Yep, the metal tape. I used it on my dryer vent a few years ago and it is still in good shape. -- H

Reply to
Heathcliff

Yes, go to any home center and buy aluminum foil ducting tape. This isn't the typical cloth "duct tape" (which should NEVER be used on ducts). It's shiny aluminum, and has a backer paper that you need to remove to expose the adhesive.

Reply to
Christian Fox

Thank you all for your help. I found a roll of that aluminum tape in my garage. Forgot that I had it!

Reply to
wizard2

That must be because duct tape is made for ducks.

mm