shut off water while on vacation

We're are leaving home soon for a one week vacation. I plan to shut off the main water supply and gas water heater. (We recently had a leak in the pipe leading to the water heater. So I want to be safe).

Somebody also suggested that I open a hot and cold water faucet (after shutting things off) and drain to release some pressuse in the system . But I was also told that do this way it may create some vacuum in the pipe system that might damage the pipes.

My questions:

1) Is it okay to just turn off the water supply and water heater without releasing the pressure? 2) If not, is the vacuum a concern?

I searched the group and couldn't find a complete answer. Help will be appreciated.

Reply to
Mike

Yes. You should also turn off the water heat. The chances of it running dry are very low, but why take the chance?

As for opeing a valve, ther eis very little pressure to let go. If you were to open and close it the pressure would be eliminated in seconds and the water still left in the lines. IMO, it does not matter.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Good idea to turn off the water. Also make sure you turn off the water heater. It will save you heating expense, and it will also reduce the chance of damage if you would have some sort of odd leak that caused it to run dry.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

Draining household pipes shouldn't damage them -- it's a normal thing to do with unoccupied homes in below-freezing climates, and it's how you get air back into water-hammer arrestors.

Reply to
Joshua Putnam

Unless its freezing out leave the water in the pipes, but it wont hurt them with air in them. In winter if I leave for more than a day I close the main, open a line drain and open the sink, shower valves. 1/4 turn ball valves make it all a one minute job. In non freezing weather I just close the main.

Reply to
m Ransley

You had a leak in the water pipe or the gas pipe to the water heater? Fixed? if so, don't worry about it. Not fixed worry. If you turn off the water or the gas, turn them off to the whole house, not just a part.

You can open a tap after turning the water vale off to release the pressure, but is certainly isn't necessary.

The idea about a vacuum and possible damage to the water pipes is beyond ridiculous. First, if the shutoff is off, there is no way to produce a vacuum in the pipe. Second, if the shutoff is off and a tap is open, a vacuum cannot be produce. And, third and most importantly, a vacuum that would damage the water pipes cannot be developed by any natural means. If you have a truck pull up, and plumbers hop out and do some plumbing and then they hook up a multi thousand dollar vacuum pump, they might be able to cause some damage.

Reply to
George E. Cawthon

Last thing I do before we leave is turn off the water and switch the water heater to pilot mode only. I have never relieved the pressure. Can't see where it would make much difference one way or the other.

Colbyt

Reply to
Colbyt

Last winter here in Massachusetts there were some seriously cold nights. Lots of people had to deal with damage to frozen pipes despite homes being heated (a warning about putting plumbing in exterior walls). I couldn't believe, though, the news story about a guy who left for vacation (skiing?) and turned off the heat and left the water on. I think he was trying to save on oil, but you can only imagine how much more the damaged plumbing cost him.

Reply to
siralfred

I shut off the water at the main and open the lowest level faucets to drain what water wants to come out. It's more than just for relieving the line pressure. Worst case scenario is that if your heat fails and the water filled pipes start to freeze. The potential for a busted pipe obviously decreases if the pipe isn't completely filled--no guarantee, but why not increase the odds in your favor. BTW, with the main off I also open the washing machine valve (single lever). Flush the toilets after shutting the main valve. if gone for a long period of time I get some RV Anti Freeze and put it in all the drains--sinks, washing machine, dishwasher, toilet, shower etc.

Reply to
MLD