dryer vent

Sure, go ahead. It's the right thing to do, and the right material.

RicodJour

I have a dryer vented using galvanized piping. There are a couple of angle pieces where the joints are leaking some exhaust. I took the pipes apart and cleaned them out of any lint as a maintenance thing and I am wondering if when I reassemble if metal tape if its appropriate to use a wrap a metal tape around the joints. I'm guessing its probably not required, but I have the metal tape and it will take a short time to do, so I might as well do it unless there is something inappropriate about it. I would be using metal tape - not duct tape. Can anyone give me any feedback on this?

Reply to
Steve

Yes, it is. In case anyone is wondering, you do not want to use screws as they would catch lint.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Thanks for the info. The dryer vents through a dryer vent in a glass block window in the basement. The joint where this the dryer piping connects to that glass black vent leaks more than any. Unfortunately, the joint is recessed and I doubt that I could tape the joint with much success because the recess makes the space to confined. This joint had previously been "caulked" or sealed with some caulk like material. Is it appropriate to use standard caulking here or is there special caulk available for this application. I'm sure I could get a caulk tip in the space and then smooth it out with my finger, but beyond that I doubt I'd be able to tape it with much accuracy.

Reply to
Steve

Yes, but(t): Don't allow the adhesive to be exposed to the inside of the ductwork at any point if you are covering any openings. The adhesive will grab the lint and hold onto it. Not usually a problem, but worth remembering.

Pop

Reply to
Pop

Reply to