Shower shelf

New corner shower is finally fitted!

Wall are covered with these panels

and very nice they are too!

10mm thick plastic, looks very similar to corrugated cardboard from the side.

Problem is that there is no way to fix a shelf to the glass enclosure, so it will have to be attached to the walls somehow.

Considering that it will need to hold around 5-6 full 0.5l bottles of shampoo/conditioner/shower gel/etc, possibly more (don't ask...), would any of the suction-type fixing be up for the job?

Otherwise, how would the panel suggest fixing it to the wall panels (plasterboard behind)? Simple masonry rollplugs?

Reply to
JoeJoe

The problem is that being pvc the surface will deteriorate, it will become grubby and uncleanable. I would never put that stuff in a bathroom. Useful on a shed roof though.

no!

Plasterboard requires wallplugs for hollow walls, not regular wallplugs. I'd very much overengineer them, otherwise the first time someone leans on it you've got a problem.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

+1

You might have got away with it if you had fitted grip-its to the plasterboard before fixing the plastic, now you will have to go through it all into the brick/blockwork behind the plasterboard (unless you are very lucky and can find a stud). If the plasterboard is a stud wall and you have access to the other side, you could try to find a suitable stud, drill right through it with say a 4 mm drill, and then fix "shelf" with suitable screws. Suggest something like this rather than a shelf, get one in stainless

I realise this is a corner one, but you can get non-corner ones too.

Reply to
newshound

What were they like to fix? Especially the joints?

Long (50mm+) plug through the panel into the wall behind - then brass or stainless screws. Blob of silicone around the hole just before fixing the bracket.

Reply to
Tim Watts

Nine years ago I stuck a rather large shampoo holder etc to the tiles below the shower. It has three suckers and has yet to fall down.

Reply to
Mr Pounder Esquire

10 minute job. Panels simply fit very tight into the corner and end trims (aluminium in my case - can have coated plastic as well) - you put silicon on the underside of the trim first. Another 5 minute jobs.

Thanks.

Reply to
JoeJoe

Anything must be better than tiles and grout in a very well used shower surely?

Reply to
JoeJoe

quite the opposite. Tiles are ever cleanable, PVC isn't for too long. Grout is rakeable and regroutable, PVC is just knackered after a while.

I'd never use it for its intended purpose. It's reusable for shed roof lining etc, so it should prove useful when you remove it.

I'd say +1 to the recommendation for a stainless steel shampoo basket, but the plastic will be knackered before you need to replace a cheaper shelf.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

The joints are a joy to use. Slide them together, job done.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr