Shelf Bracket Screws

I have just taken delivery of the following brackets:

I plan to put up a 4' x 9" shelf to carry some computer kit including 2 x NAS weighing 10 lb each.

The screws they have supplied are 1.5" x 8 (I think, might be 6). Why do they do stupid things like that? I will use 2.5" x 10 that I think should be adequate.

Reply to
Jeff Gaines

You bought 10" brackets for a 9" shelf? Or, is that the wrong link?

I have no idea why they supply screws at all, as the fixings required will depend on what you are fixing into. :)

If you were fixing into a nice solid piece of wood, 1.5" screws might well be fine.

Reply to
GB

I am planning to put the shorter side to the wall so the shelf sits on the longer side which will enable me to have a decent gap at the back of the shelf for cables.

Not many walls in the UK made of wood!

Reply to
Jeff Gaines

9 times out of 10 I chuck away the (wall fixing) screws that come items, but more importantly the cheap wall plugs also go in the bin.

Chinese sourced fixings seem to be made from some special form of metal plated soft cheese.

Reply to
alan_m

Me too, and the 1 time in 10 that I don't bin the supplied fixings I usually wish I had. This has been a problem for years and I can't understand why some of the western buyers haven't told them to fix it.

Reply to
nothanks

Plenty of them with studs made of wood though...

Reply to
John Rumm

Many thanks for all the replies :-)

I hadn't thought of this being a consequence of the China bonus but it makes sense, I'll let you know if it falls down!

Reply to
Jeff Gaines

Because the majority of the buying public don't keep a stock of different size screws, so they go back to the seller/manufacturer & ask why they are not supplied. The manufacturer works out that it's cheaper to supply the fixings than deal with the complaints.

Reply to
wasbit

True although despite owning 3 stud finders I have never found a stud in my life, plenty of false electric alarms though!

Mind you a 1.5" screw less 0.5" for the bracket cross section and the same for plaster doesn't leave a lot of thread :-)

Reply to
Jeff Gaines

The strength of the metal is likely to be irrelevant if it's ensconced in a wall plug.

If you are worried about them corroding you are likely to replace them with stainless steel anyway.

My main reason for junking the screws is that they use a plain cross slot, much like JIS (Japanese Industrial Standard) rather than Posi.

Reply to
wasbit

Most buyers won't be using them to 'display' two 10lb NASs.

Reply to
Peter Johnson

The video shows 3 off 10kg weights on the shelves

Reply to
alan_m

I think my new NAS plus is going to come in around 8 oz.

And its designed not to need another one.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

The blurb says 30 KG per pair of brackets, mind you with the screws supplied I would be worried about putting an empty shelf on them!

Reply to
Jeff Gaines

The problem is that they shear, or the head gets mashed

Interesting! I had always thought that Chinese screws were Phillips, but I see that they're sometimes JIS ... another unknown unknown

Reply to
nothanks

I suspect the weight estimates is with 4 x spinning drives and mine are each fitted with 4 x SSD in RAID10, they certainly don't feel like 10 lbs each. One is a QNAP TS 451+ and the other a QNAP TS431.

Reply to
Jeff Gaines

My Zircon seem pretty good at finding studs on a normal PB wall.

Alternatively, use the scanner in metal mode and look for the PB screws/nails (or a strong magnet)

Yup, with 1/2" PB that would be risking it :-)

Reply to
John Rumm

Those black screws look like Drywall Screws.

The thread on a drywall screw, is unlike the thread cut and cross-section of a wood screw.

And a drywall screw is not made for holding large static loads. Maybe some other screw has better downward strength. I've snapped the head off drywall screws, which I find is one of their weaknesses.

A lot of times when buying "kits", the wrong screws come with them, and I'm off to the fastener store here, to find replacements.

Studs should be on "consistent centers". If you find one stud where you are not working, you should be able to measure over, and improve your odds of locating a fastener in the stud of interest.

On some walls, there can be "stain" where the stud is located, and if you stand off to the side, with the right lighting, you may be able to "see" the stud pattern. (Thermal bridging and condensation on a wall, attracts dust differentially.)

Paul

Reply to
Paul

Spinning drives have shock and vibration specs. Modern drives have pretty good specs, all things considered.

Modern drives using embedded servo, support six-axis mounting, on compass points. On super-cheap drives, I recommend keeping them in the selected orientation, for their entire lives. (On a Dell, the drive might be upside-down, as an example of how the OEMs take advantage of the orientations allowed.)

NAS drives generally support large numbers of vibrating "neighbour drives", so if you're using Red Pro or something, there is likely little to worry about. Do not put four "WD Blue" in a NAS-on-the-wall. There is no spec for "number of neighbours" on a WD Blue.

One vibration fighting feature is called "RAFF".

Back when the first generation of hard drives came out, you would never mount a NAS with those on a wall. The spec for those when spinning, was something like 2G only. I was always worried about walking on the floor and damaging the ST412. We had four drive failures the first year, which is why I had my suspicions about their sensitivity to normal work conditions.

If building a four drive RAID, buy a fifth drive as a cold spare, for when you need to do maintenance. You should also "practice" what happens when a drive dies (by unplugging it, then starting up the NAS). It helps to be familiar with how to do rebuilds and so on, so you won't panic when a drive dies. You should also learn how to remove RAID metadata, so the NAS will think the drive you are feeding it, is "new" :-)

Paul

Reply to
Paul

One other thing.

SSDs in RAID, can have "correlated failure".

This is unlike rotating HDD, where the failures are independent, and a "lemon drive" wears out before its brothers.

For example, four Intel SSDs in a RAID 10 is a no-no. (Intel drive *brick* at end of life.) The 600 writes will be used up on all drives simultaneously, and the array will go from "degraded" to "failed", before you can make a cup of tea. That won't happen to your HDD array.

Paul

Reply to
Paul