Shed base

It's Spring, when a man's mind turns to sheds...

Now that the drystone wallers have finished (I'm awestruck at their work), I need to put a base down for the shed.

We don't want to put a concrete raft down (I have been told) and for this reason want to go down the slab route. From Googled wisdom of this group, I know that I should:

  1. level the area of soil where I want to put the base, stamp it down a bit.
  2. put down a dry sand & cement (4:1) layer, keeping inside the footprint of the shed. Get this level.
  3. starting at the corner, lay the slabs, ensuring level etc.
  4. once they are down, the moisture in the soil will act on the sand & cement, but playing a hose over it when I've finished wont't do any harm.

Anything I've forgotten?

It's only a little 6x4 jobbie, so I'm sure doing the above will be OK, but a couple of questions:

a. I'm thinking of dropping a couple of pieces of threaded rod into slabs below the raft and fixing these to the bearers and screwing the shed to the bearers. The idea behind this is to give it a bit of wind resistance. Any other suggested methods?

b. how deep should the sand and cement be?

c. could I get away with raking and stamping the soil level and lay the slabs directly onto the soil? Advantages/disadvantages?

Thanks

David

Reply to
David