Sharpening long knives

After titting about trying to get a good a flat edge on my planer blades, I decided to make a jig:

Seems to work pretty well...

Reply to
John Rumm

Nice write up John but Steve Maskery has beaten you to it.

If you have not come across Steve before, he has a load of youtube videos as well as a well respected selection of DVDs for sale. (no commercial connection etc etc other than as a customer and meeting him a couple of times.

Do be sure that you don't have a check shirt allergy before viewing!

Bob

Reply to
Bob Minchin

Yup I know its not a unique idea - and to be fair I have seen a number of versions of it. There was even one that used a flat ali disk covered in sandpaper as a replacement for the blade in the tablesaw, and used that to actually sharpen them! But since I had some photos etc, thought I may as well slap them up there in case it was of use for anyone.

Yup I have seen a few of his (probably have him on my subscribed list along with all the other youtube woodwork channels!)

its ok I have one in my wardrobe ;-)

Reply to
John Rumm