Selling a vehicle by auction

Sold my x Saab 9000 280,000 miles on ebay, got £200. But the sought after 16" Aero wheels now worth at least £500. Buyer was happy and I wasn't unhappy since I had got rid of owner responsibily for the car. Not easy to have two cars with no room to keep. Not easy to sell a car with no wheels.

Reply to
johannes

Yes. On a couple of occasions where I've traded in a banger, the salesman has contacted someone by phone to give a value on the banger.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

In message , at 11:46:13 on Wed, 9 Aug

2017, Adrian Caspersz remarked:

WBAC's website does indeed ask loads of questions about the car in advance, but they then need to inspect it.

The provisional valuation they give is on the assumption the bodywork, wheels etc is in concourse condition; and they go round like a chap checking you back in after a rental and list every tiny ding, dent or scrape.

You are invited to either go get those fixed at your own expense and bring the car back, or they knock off for each bit of damage against a scale they have.

In the case I saw, what one would normally consider to be a car "in typical condition for its ten years age" that process resulted in almost halving their valuation.

The reason given was "when we send them to auction, those are the things the trade buyers are looking at".

The mechanical side of the equation is presumably dealt with under TNP's observation of: "tier 2 dealer fixes gross faults offers shoddy warranty and hopes". As of course will subsequent retail buyers (hope that is)!

Reply to
Roland Perry

The technical term for this is "underwriting" the trade-in value, Dave.

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

OMG!!!!

My 11 YO MIcra, for which the insurance sites guess a valuation of 2000, but which realistically I would be lucky to sell for anything over 1000

WBAC.COM

345 pounds

wtf, I would get almost that from the scrappy

tim

Reply to
tim...

I got 220 for my last, drivable, car that I scrapped.

Bastard fixed up the broken bits that has caused me to decide to scrap it and put it back on the road

Reply to
tim...
[snip]

About 1975 I scrapped an 850 minivan. Steering rack badly worn, rear wheel bearings dry and rusty with brass swarf from collapsed ball cages, barely legal tyres, headlamp bulbs removed. Dead battery - jump started it to drive to the scrap dealer and received £5 for it, which I thought was reasonable. It may have had a few months on its MOT - can't remember.

A few days later a mate saw it being driven around by a pikey with his wife & kids on board!

Reply to
Graham J

Many moons ago my son needed a car at very short notice with little money. I bought him a Renault 5 from a local scrappy for £300 with a months unconditional warranty, it was body from one scrap car and engine/transmission from a second. We needed to guarantee he would be mobile for three weeks whilst we were away so I paid the asking price as long as they agreed to the unconditional warranty.

Four years later after only needing two tyres and a coil (Coil under the original warranty) my son declared "I hate that car but the worst thing is there's nothing wrong with it"

Mike

Reply to
Muddymike

A man with no understanding. There was everything wrong with it.

It was a Renault.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher