Searching internet for stolen photographs

I think the answer to this will be - its impossible!

Now supposing you find a web site, which contains some photographs, photographs which you are fairly certain will have been lifted from another website - is there any way to search the internet, to find where the phograhphs might have been stolen from?

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Well, TinEye and Google both have reverse image search, they won't necessarily tell you which is the original source, but they'll tell you which sources are similar or identical.

Reply to
Andy Burns

Tineye seems to suggest it maybe only looks for the images name. I've not found the Google facility yet?

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

I'm pretty sure it analyses the actual image

then click on the camera icon.

Reply to
Andy Burns

That worked and found an exact matches from several commercial sites :-)

Thing is, what do I do about it? The stolen images are on someones Facebook business web site, showing work they are suggesting they have done - but they obviously have just lifted the images from other commercial websites.

There are about 30 images in total all obviuously stolen.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Report it to Faceache, not that I expect them to do anything about it. Are the images on the Faceasache pages hot links back to the orginals or are they hosted on facebroke?

If hot links tell the owners, they can then replace thos hot linked images with something else. Maybe the same image with "stolen from xxx" over laid. That's what I have done on occasion when I've spotted hot links to stuff on my site. Need to have a differently named copy and alter the sites code to the new name so that the real site doesn't have the overlay.

You could probably get really clever and have the overlay only visible when other than permitted sites request the image.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Harry Bloomfield scribbled...

Waste of time

Artic

Trading standards? (mind, they were useless last time I tried to complain)

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris

Harry Bloomfield scribbled...

All images on Failbook automatically become the property of Failbook.

Artic

if the http referer: (sic) for any image is someone else's website, redirect to a suitable replacement ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

The Other Mike

No, they have been lifted and pasted to Facebook.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Yes, that's what I do now. I never see images hotlinked from my site since I put this in place:

Java Jive

Reply to
Java Jive

If they were in the public domain with zero actual copyrighting or anything then arguable tough shit.

They haven't been stolen because no ownership was ever asserted.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I guess our polliticians are too busty USING this service to worry about the fact its actually available.

Of course, its a magic scam. Take the $10,000 and disappear. I mean, who do you complain to?

"I paid $10,000 up front to get my missus topped, and I've been had" wont go down too well with trading standards.

And if it were that cheap and it were real how come Tony Blair is still alive?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I found out someone had used pics of my work. I told them it was OK if they sent me £50 and made it clear it wasn't their work, which they did.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

Just wondering why it's a concern to you? It doesn't sound like the images are yours ...

In the UK you don't have to assert copyright, it's automatic.

Reply to
Andy Burns

I took it that he was cheesed off that a company was advertising fraudulently saying that they had done work that they had not (were using photos of others work).

Reply to
F Murtz

A solicitors letter to the site and the carrier of it perhaps? Its been going on for years. In some instances people do not care but if they are being used fragilantly to mislead people to gain business, then it could be worth doing.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff