Border glue won't budge

Hi,
I'm having a bit of a nightmare removing the glue behind the border which has been put on top of paint. I used a heat gun and scraper to remove the border worked a treat and some of the glue came off with it but the remainder of the glue remains. It wont sand off or peel off. Its a kind of rubbery tacky glue.
I tried a steaming machine which worked very slowly I mean and inch by and inch every 5 minutes!!!! so it would take an age to get it all off, I don't mind slow and painful ways of doing things but thats ridiculous even for me.
Any ideas how to remove this substance off the wall without damaging the wall ? which I have done in a few spots with over zealous scraping but repaired with my best friend polly filla.
ps after some googling I tried wd 40 doesn't work, de-icer no joy, nail polish remover no joy

It is probably like Copydex. Used it situations where you are moving house and know you won't be there when it has to come off.

If it's Copydex - which is rubber solution - you should be able to clean it off with lighter fluid. Otherwise try to gather enough of it by rolling under your finger to be able to use it as a wad that will act like a pencil eraser.
Rubber solution used to be used a lot in art studios and the latter method was commonly used to clean excess goo off completed paste-up work.
On Monday, August 5, 2013 10:42:17 PM UTC+1, Jeff wrote:

If it is rubber based maybe something like this would work? http://cpc.farnell.com/1/1/54930-label-remover-200ml-aerosol-ppc108-pro-power.html I've found this works well for the rubbery glue used by self adhesive labels and sellotape. I know Maplin do something similar (at a price...) and I'm sure there are other similar ones out there.

methylated spirits shifts many things.
On 05/08/2013 22:42, Jeff wrote:

One of those scrapers that uses a Stanley knife blade? Sharp enough to scrape away the glue without too much force which makes things dig in?
SteveW
"SteveW" wrote in message
On 05/08/2013 22:42, Jeff wrote:

One of those scrapers that uses a Stanley knife blade? Sharp enough to scrape away the glue without too much force which makes things dig in?
SteveW
Thanks for the suggestion all still struggling with it and no joy, damaged the wall a bit but fixable. I tried the stanley and scrapper being the cheapest method its does nothing as its not hard enough to scrap but tacky enough to keep ripping the blade out. I tried heating the glue then scraping but melted the scraper oops! as I kept the heat gun on it. Need a new one hehe
I have a whole room to do so those products like goo off and sticky remover might prove expensive as they are about 250ml!
A guy at the diy shop said tried rubbing isopro something or anything that purple alcohol stuff on it in a circular motion might shift it as it breaks down certains glues.
It is like copydex but harder and tackier.
On Mon, 5 Aug 2013 22:42:17 +0100

Meths, white spirit, lighter fuel, cellulose thinners, sealant remover?
"Rob Morley" wrote in message wrote:

Meths, white spirit, lighter fuel, cellulose thinners, sealant remover?
I tried white spirit didnt touch it. I will try methelated spirit next and see if that works. One of those has to break it down with damaging the wall. A pal said nitromoors but I reckon that would damage the plaster as its agressive?
On Wednesday, August 7, 2013 2:46:56 PM UTC+1, Jeff wrote:

<snip>

If it's the original Nitromors it shouldn't touch the plaster but it would remove the paint as well as the glue. If it's the new stuff without dichloromethane the consensus seems to be it's not that good at removing the paint either... If you haven't already tried Meths (the purple stuff you mentioned earlier) or IPA (Isopropanol) that would seem to be a sensible next step.
On 05/08/2013 22:42, Jeff wrote:

I had exactly the same problem, still can't shift it to this day. If you paint over it, the paint cracks.
--
yendor
If it's not broken, let's fix it till it is.
"yendor" wrote in message
On 05/08/2013 22:42, Jeff wrote:

I had exactly the same problem, still can't shift it to this day. If you paint over it, the paint cracks.
Total night mare shifting it.
I tried all kings from warm water and fabric osftner to white spirits, wd 40, de-icer etc.
I have to get it off as it will ruin the finish.
driving me coo koooooo
I come home and make little progress infact do more damage then try again day after day removing it bit by bit
On Wed, 7 Aug 2013 14:45:36 +0100

Wire brush on an angle grinder, then patch the plaster - quicker and easier than farting around with loads of stuff that won't shift it. :-)
"Rob Morley" wrote in message wrote:

Wire brush on an angle grinder, then patch the plaster - quicker and easier than farting around with loads of stuff that won't shift it. :-)
Lol nice idea but sounds a bit aggressive and me and plastering will end badly.

Seriously, try a scraper and lots of talc. If the glue is tacky then the talc helps it form into little balls which detach and are easily swept up.
On 8/9/2013 3:03 PM, Simon Cee wrote:

I've used bicarb/baking soda for that sort of thing - the slight grittiness seems to help.
"Simon Cee" wrote in message wrote:

Seriously, try a scraper and lots of talc. If the glue is tacky then the talc helps it form into little balls which detach and are easily swept up.
I thought you was having a joke, but will give it a go after I buy some talc. Makes sense and got to be worth a shot. I've taken a break today tis worse than removing tiles.
I appreciate to suggestion will let you know how it goes.
On 09/08/2013 23:24, Jeff wrote:

Didn't we recently discuss the possibility of talc causing cancer?
Maybe cornflour?
--
Rod

Wallpaper scraper and talcum powder.