Screwfix free delivery "trick"

Just placed an order with screwfix, which came to =A345, and a few pence.

Realising that free delivery is for orders over =A350, I was looking around the for something about =A35, which would essentially be free (given the otherwise =A35 delivery charge).

Then I spotted - vouchers, so I added a =A35 voucher, which hey presto takes me above the free delivery threshold, so I get the =A35 to spend next time.

Reply to
xscope

Wonder if that would work with a 50 GBP gift voucher, next time I get caught out for a 1.50 GBP box of screws?!

David

Reply to
Lobster

What a good idea! How many £4:50 items have I bought to get over that.

Much easier now we have a local trade counter though.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

I bought a tumble dryer from

the other day. £130.09 for the dryer, £19.90 for the delivery - total £149.99

Currys online had the same dryer for £149.95 with but free delivery for orders over £150.

The rules say £150 is apparenty £150, not £149.95.

Missed my chance to save 4 pence :-(

Reply to
Adrian C

Brilliant!

Reply to
Steve Walker

I found similar with the Maplin offer vouchers. I think they told me (in store) that they (or more accurately 'the computer') would allow you to use the (say) £5 off voucher if you spend more than £35 at £34.99 but not £34.98. ;-)

All the best ..

T i m

Reply to
T i m

So I order a £5 box of screws and £40 of vouchers to get free delivery.

Next time, I want a £5 hammer with free delivery so I pay £5 and use the £40 vouchers to buy another £40 of vouchers to get free delivery.

And so on and so forth...

Would this work?! Would they let you?!

Isn't it the free delivery equivalent of a perpetual motion machine?

Reply to
mike

HAve you never phoned them up and blagged free delivery ?

Reply to
geoff

Didn't feel much in blagging mood for the 4 pence saving (or me messing up my cookie collection / rejection policies for QuidCo etc). The DSG group stores had the lowest price and could deliver this week in a

4-hour slot.

Anyway, I try and avoid talking to Currys staff - The instant I walk into a store to play yellow x.97p tag hunting (as that's where the end of line bargains are), I'm targetted by store staff "Sir, may I help you?" to which the response "Nah, I'm beyond help" normally suffices and saves me having to explain how their technology actually works not as advertised or as has been ill-explained to them....

Reply to
Adrian C

You do realise that you are lending thm money, don't you.....

Reply to
Andy Hall

Maplins screwed me with delivery charge once. In the days=20 before regular internet orders, I sent them a mailed order=20 and cheque that qualified for free delivery. However they=20 were out of stock for a particular item so that made the=20 order just short of qualifying for free delivery. So they=20 added the delivery charge. That meant the cheque didn't=20 cover the entire order to they dropped another item from=20 the order. I was so annoyed I didn't buy anything off them=20 again for years.

--=20 David in Normandy. snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.fr=20 To e-mail you must include the password FROG on the subject line, or it will be automatically deleted.

Reply to
David in Normandy

I don't see why it shouldn't work, , but you end up with a hell of a lot of vouchers. The only place you can spend them is screwfix, so they are pretty much guaranteed to get future business from you.

I suppose you could give the vouchers as christmas presents ;-)

Reply to
Peter Lynch

Andy Hall (Andy Hall ) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

As opposed to just giving that money to them? Hiho.

Reply to
Adrian

Well bits of paper that have been redeemed the snag of course is the interest free loan of =A340 to Screwfix. Depending on often you order an= d need "free delivery" the loss of interest may or may not be more than th= e postage saved.

I wouldn't expect to be able to buy vouchers with vouchers but unless they've really thought about it I bet you can.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Does anyone have the script of the Jasper Carrot sketch on the relative (de-)merits of giving a =A310 store voucher versus a =A310 note?

Chris

Reply to
chrisj.doran

Umm no.

If you give them money for goods, you will be getting the goods in a day or two.

If you give them money for a voucher, they are banking it until you take delivery of the goods at some point in the future.

This is known as lending money.

Reply to
Andy Hall

Of course, but the alternative of not *lending* them a fiver by buying the voucher is to *give* them a fiver to cover the postage.

(Thinks... how much interest will I lose on my fiver until my next Screwfix order...?)

Also, the voucher has probably been paid for using a credit card, so for (potentially) several weeks the fiver is actually being lent to Screwfix by the credit card co anyway!

David

Reply to
Lobster

This is becoming too complicated......

Reply to
Andy Hall

Dunno, but... from a retailers perspective, where you sell VAT & non VAT items then a £nn voucher can be sold as Zero VAT so..... the retailer is actually 17.5% better off when customer redeems a voucher against a VAT chargable product. Reason being the voucher _could_ be used against Zero VAT items therefore VAT is not payable on the sale of the voucher at time of sale.

;¬)

Sneaky tip for anyone selling kids clothes, safety boots or food products alongside full VAT items.

I didn't mention it though. (We have only ever sold about £150 worth of vouchers anyway)

Pete

Reply to
www.GymRatZ.co.uk

No sense of "just for the sake of it" then

Reply to
geoff