Scarey Oven Behaviour

Hi all

General comment rather than DIY I suppose...

Er indoors regularly puts food in the oven for me with timer set to be ready for around 5:30pm (so heat on maybe 4:00pm). As she works shifts, the oven is regularly left in this state unattended.

As Adam W is aware, our lecky supply is a bit hit and miss. Yesterday as it happened I had the afternoon off and noted the oven in timer state as I popped out for an hour or two.

When I arrived home, it was clear there had been a short duration power cut. As a result, the oven had been powered back in normal rather than timed mode, so the heat came on approx 2 hours early, food somewhat dry.

Not a problem in this case, but I suppose could be dangerous if the oven was set to a high temp and the power cut was early in the day after everyone had left for work! The oven is an old Creda model.

Just thought I'd share

Phil

Reply to
TheScullster

I'd have though a simple switch as you often find on high power machine tools that disengages if the power is interrupted might be an idea here. Then although food would be cold, at least the oven could not come on unless the button was pushed back in. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Usually called a "no volt release"

Indeed. Bit of a major design flaw, that...

Reply to
Tim Watts

I had an old creda and it didn't do that. Its why the oven won't work on our zannusi until you set the clock.

You need a zero volt switch to make sure its safe, or a *big* ups.

Reply to
dennis

And it had to be you that had a power cut not long after I arrived! At least the power went off just after your kettle had boiled:-)

Reply to
ARWadsworth