OT: Oven temperatures.

We have a new oven. A gas hob with three electric ovens. No, I don't know why we need three either, but the wok burner is great.

Anyway, I was suspicious about one of the ovens, thinking it was running a bit cold. I am aware they the temperature control on these things is fairly notional. In fact my trusty Comark thermocouple readout showed that it was fairly close, maybe 10'C low. Not an issue.

However, the smallest oven (which doubles as a grill when the door is open) showed >350'C when set to its maximum of 250'C - I turned it off when it reached 350'C. There was nothing in it and the door was closed. I tried again with the thermocouple underneath a baking tray in case there was some sort of radiant heat issue. Same result.

It seems to cook ok, and I haven't yet tried measuring the temperature when it's cooking food. But >350'C sounds a bit dangerous to me and I'm confident that the readout is pretty accurate.

Opinions? Is this normal?

Cheers

Reply to
Clive Arthur

As you explain the smallest oven doubles as a grill with the door left open.

Silly question I know but are you sure you're not operating this oven in grill mode, rather than in oven mode when reaching this temperature ?

From memory of similar set-ups in grill mode, the knob is rotated to the right, in oven mode to the left.

michael adams

michael adams

The knob only rotates one way, and the door being open/closed is what determines if it's an oven or grill. I don't know if there's a switch associated with the door.

Cheers

Reply to
Clive Arthur

As it's new, could someone have accidentally turned a knob to "pyrolytic cleaning mode"?

Reply to
Andy Burns

I Googled it but still amn't sure if that's a joke or not!

If not, there's no such function available, it's catalytic, apparently. Or possibly catastrophic. Or pyrotechnic.

Cheers

Reply to
Clive Arthur

No, it's a thing ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

The oven I had in the US had a 500C mode to burn shit off. Worked well but presumably expensive in energy.

Reply to
Tim Streater

a.k.a. "pizza mode"

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

Clive Arthur wrote in news:phale3$bfu$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

Grill mode by-passes the thermostat.

Reply to
DerbyBorn

DerbyBorn pretended :

Our second smaller oven, is a combined grill oven. You turn it right to grill and gas is enabled only if the door is open. In oven mode, you turn the control to the left and select the gas mark number. Each uses a separate gas burner, oven roof or oven rear bottom. I cannot see (OP problem) how a oven roof grill burner, would work very well when using it as an oven.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Sure that wasn't 500F (260C)? Unless you were planning on smelting metals...

Theo

Reply to
Theo

Probably was 500C. Our Bosch pyrolytic says, clearly, that it heats to

480 degrees Celsius for cleaning.
Reply to
Bob Eager

We had a brand new Stoves cooker a few years back, and the clock didn't work from the off :(

They sent an engineer, who replaced the whole control panel. Luckily we pointed out that the switch for the oven/grill (which turned left for oven, right for grill) wouldn't turn right - so no grill *before* he'd left.

Cue a phone call, much confusion about which model we had (small top oven/ grill, lower oven), and a replacement cooker !!!!

So just because the switch only goes one way ...

(It was a good job the engineer had the original panel, as his first reply was "Sorry, you're wrong, it doesn't work like that")

Reply to
Jethro_uk

Or just a decent pizza oven ?

Reply to
Jethro_uk

I posted before I saw that :)

Noticed B&Q had a £97 outdoor (?) pizza oven on sale. It is frustrating trying to cook certain things with domestic equipment. Bread (and dough based foods) being one of them.

I was passed recently by a van belonging to a company that builds pizza ovens.

Reply to
Jethro_uk

Mine goes to about 500C, it literally changes food to ash.

Reply to
dennis

That's interesting, because our (elderly) electric has pyrolytic cleaning at

270C.

Theo

Reply to
Theo

Possibly the Bosch has a more modern, perhaps more heat resistant coating.

Reply to
Bob Eager