Scam alert - platinum holidays

Cold call on my home number, terrible accent - but knew my full name, address etc (and I'm not on the electoral roll) - claimed it was about a reward voucher scheme for prompt credit card payment (ok, so no way am I giving out personal information to these people - and card companies *want* you to pay late).

Endless waffle about the benefits, basically hotel vouchers, but willing to go off-script and answer questions - well, apart from "Why don't you just post the stuff to me then, rather than give me all this waffle?"

Anyway - eventually we get round to the =A399 administrative charge, and I say ta-ra.

Seems to be a relatively new one, though police aware in other areas:

the caller had better spoken English, I could imagine someone might in a distracted moment not realise the call isn't from their credit card company.

Reply to
dom

They're not after £99. They're after your card details, which are worth much more than that.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Seems to be varying forms. In some cases they just sell you some near- worthless vouchers on a "barely legal" scam.

Reply to
dom

If that's the case then they should just charge 9.99 and they'd get a lot more takers.

Reply to
pcb1962

robgraham wibbled on Thursday 10 December 2009 17:47

I still laugh at that one, even after the umpteenth viewing :)

Hint spammers: tell a funny joke, and spam in your sig then I might not get anglo-saxon on your inbox!

Reply to
Tim W