Satnav - TomTom vs Garmin

Unless they have naturally removable batteries then yes, otherwise they are considered 'consumables' and so you have to do some surgery. ;-(

I've only ever changed a battery on a TomTom and that was relatively easy (as long as you took care).

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

I must admit, I usually disregard the 'Keep to the right lane' type instructions as often both lanes are going in the direction I want and the signs are usually more accurate than the satnav lane guidance.

Absolutely, driving the car comes first. Knowledge is power though. That's why I like to check the speedo and fuel gauge and see if there are any red lights.

Agreed.

I think I might be with your sister on that one.

Reply to
Scott

I live in Scotland :-)

Reply to
Scott

Lithium ion batteries will survive down to -40°C :-)

Reply to
Anthony R. Gold

you can still have hot days

Reply to
charles

I've had the good and the bad.

I borrowed a Garmin some years ago for a holiday in Spain. The road name pronunciation was incomprehensible to either me (no Spanish) or my wife (moderately fluent). The navigation was ... OK.

I have a TomTom. It's got its good sides (a couple of years ago on the A11 (that's A eleven!) back from Norwich it suddenly said "Turn right at the next roundabout". I did, then checked. A11 blocked.

I've also had it not know about a blockage, and be determined to take me back to the road I was on when I turn off...

A map update didn't fit. After a bit they took I think Ukraine off the maps, and now it fits again.

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris

Sometimes staying in the traffic jam is quicker. My last encounter was being directed off the motorway through traffic light hell in Coventry along with all the other traffic that had been advised to leave the motorway.

Reply to
alan_m

When I used TT I too was never sent down an unsuitable road. I now use the inbuilt satnav in my Ford. It has a (rare) nasty habit of trying to cut corners especially in rural areas when close to your destination. A few times it has taken me off an A road and down a single track country lane with grass growing in the middle of the tarmac to save me a few hundreds yards on my journey!

Reply to
alan_m

Sometimes it helps - if your journey to your destination is broadly south east it may not be too obvious the first time you do the journey that you need to go north when the M5 crosses your path, rather than south.

Reply to
alan_m

... has a 3 hour delay

Reply to
alan_m

dependant

Surprised Northumberland replaced one of a pisr of 30 signs that had fallen over(*) within a week or so then. It was the one on the left though...

(*) Post rusted through at the base.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

The /requirement/ for 2 signs was dropped but the authority is supposed to decide it only after assessing the risk of drivers not knowing the limit. My point was simply that the absence of 2 signs no longer means "they can't touch you for it".

Reply to
Robin

I haven't seen a '3ply' road for years

Reply to
charles

I remember in the 80s people used to say you should listen to the Capital Radio traffic reports and drive towards the jams since by the time you got there the others would be deterred.

Reply to
Scott

We have a 20 mph limit. At the point of entry the sign on the left is missing and the only sign is on the right (not a one way street). Is this problematic from the prosecution perspective?

Reply to
Scott

And sometimes the signposted route is not the best one. Locally here, Barrhead is signposted as junction 2 off the M77 but it is more efficient to take junction 3 (which is signposted as Paisley).

Reply to
Scott

man left a lithium pack on the passenger seat of his car in california. car was burnt out. Pack temp estimated to have got over 120°C in te direct sunshine.

My smartphone shuts down from over temp if left in the direct sun in a car..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I use one nearly every time I go to one of the local towns, It saves almost 30 yards!

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Does shutting down prevent the battery igniting if it gets too hot?

Reply to
Scott

Ditto, but seven miles in my case.

Reply to