sarking

why do the English not use sarking ? ....

Reply to
Jim GM4DHJ ...

They do.

Some older houses may not have it but more modern ones certainly do. All the houses we own/have owned have sarking felt.

Reply to
Brian Reay

Huh! Now try and get your builder to use it! They have latched on to porous membrane in the firm belief that roof ventilation is no longer necessary. Also try and get them to use the grade required for your area wind prediction and double sided tape for laps:-(

Reply to
Tim Lamb

The English use sarking 'felt' unlike the Scots who, certainly on older properties, use(d) sarking boards.

Reply to
Ermin

My house has sarking boards.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Do you mean the felt inside the tiles? Never been any in this house. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Because they use iron-ing.

Reply to
Max Demian

Generally to help support the weight of snow. More likely in the north than south.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Although the jocks quite often say sarking when they mean under boarding.

Reply to
John Rumm

Because it's been around rather longer than roofing felt.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Surely double sided tape will dry out and fail within a short time, especially in a roof environment?

Reply to
alan_m

I think building control have tied their hands on that matter.

Reply to
Andrew

If you missed it, todays car restoration job on Quest was a nice Rover P5 coupe, given a recon power steering pump (apparently the owners handbook said don't hold on full lock for more then 30 seconds or it will overheat the fluid).

For some reason they had stainless steel exhaust manifolds made up to replace the oem cast-iron ones, which seems like a waste of £1600.

Reply to
Andrew

because we use more modern barriers than sarking felt.

I have a big roll of it somewhere that the builders left in the loft.

Reply to
dennis

Building regs require roof vents so they will fit them.

Reply to
dennis

cast iron exhaust? mild steel more likely

Reply to
charles

No, I'm sure the one that does the dirty work (Edd) said it was cast-iron. And it looked like a casting too. Very awkward shape.

Reply to
Andrew

Modern rooves will have soffit vents and ridge venmts

So there is no need for permeawble sarking

But of course a porous membrane DOES ventilate

Sarking is ther to reduce wind speed and stop tiles being sucked off

Also try and get them to use the

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Not manifolds