Samsung SSD 750 EVO v 850 EVO / Ubuntu

Should work OK.

I've booted up linux on something very like the latter. Nice kit and well good enough for general use. Use x64 Linux.

I think the cutoff for SSD is when the motherboard don't do SATA.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Certainly was here.

Then the MB went and I got a brand new one - same budget range but 6 years on. It was only a couple of times faster.

But the SSD made everything to do with starting new appplications much much faster.

Running the apps wasn't really affected as I had a lot of RAM and so it never swapped.

Finally years too late, I have a personal computer that runs a windowed GUI as fast as CP/M used to run a text screen, like I think a personal computer should.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

+1

I've probably done 10 SSD 'upgrades' now and the improvement in general performance ranges from 'remarkable to 'not sure it was worth it' (especially if you also consider the wasted time, cost and capacity loss).

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

The best idea is to just use a small 60 or 120GB SSD only for your

*system* drive. That size is now very affordable. That's what I do.
Reply to
Bod

En el artículo , John Rumm escribió:

Alignment makes a big difference. This can be a problem with imaging/cloning utilities that migrate the partitions on a hard drive to an SSD without performing alignment.

Some years ago I used the Linux dd utility to migrate a hard drive to an SSD. The first partition started at sector 63 (i.e. non-aligned). Some time later I used GParted to re-align to sector 1024; the increase in performance was very noticeable.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

fine for a desktop, but for a laptop, two disks is not always an option

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Whilst that may be the best in a desktop it's not usually an option for most laptops (and what I generally fit SSDs into).[1] The only desktop here that has a SSD is the quad core Atom based machine I've just built and used an SSD because I wanted to get the best out of it and store most of my data on my server.

Whilst it's a lot better than it was, that only really applies to drives that are still smaller than you typically get with conventional drives.

Cheers, T i m

[1] Until SSD's are available at the same cost of conventional drives for the same capacities, I mainly see their suitability to laptops (if you are actually using your laptop portably, for both speed and durability), tinkerers (people who want to try new stuff) or people with plenty of money to spend on something that is probably idle for 99.9% of their day and wouldn't therefore make much difference ITRW.
Reply to
T i m

ROFLMAO.

There is no relationship between 'sector' and any given bit of disk on an SSD, indeed wear levelling means the relationship varies with time as well.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

The internal blocks of an SSD are larger than sectors and file system clusters, this will make little difference for reads, but for writes it can mean cluster-straddling where a single write causes re-writing two blocks and subsequent erasing of them, that in turn will be increased by the drive's write-amplification. So yes, alignment can make a difference (as SAN owners learned somewhat earlier) and it will be more noticeable on cheaper SSDs with fewer memory channels.

Reply to
Andy Burns

The main thing with SSDs is effectively zero seek time which is great for random access (most OS boots and app startups). Even if the SSD cannot shovel raw data any faster than a disc, it's a massive win.

The only time I got bitten was a crap Crucial SSD drive that died in short order. Stuck with Sandisk and Plextor and have not been disappointed.

Reply to
Tim Watts

My laptop has got two hard drives, but on a single drive laptop you just save your data to external drives, so it's not a problem. You can also leave an external drive connected semi permanently to a USB socket and use that as a second drive.

Reply to
Bod

That's OK for laptops that stay tethered to a desk, not so good for laptops that actually get moved around ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

Well exactly. Lying in bed watching TV on me lappy with a bloody great USB drive hanging off - the answer is of course NAS of some sort in that case ;-)

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

You could always use a 128GB pen drive for about £20 and then periodiacally transfer the data onto an ext drive.

Reply to
Bod

As others have mentioned, it would be if you use your laptop as a 'laptop' and not a desktop. I don't have sufficient space on my 'PC desk' to place a keyboard, let alone a laptop so laptops are used on my lap!

See above.

I bet you are the sort of person who goes to a Indian takeaway to get a pancake roll or a Fish and Chips shop to get a kebab. Or get a bicycle and fit an engine on it rather than buying a moped. ;-)

Cheers, T i m

p.s. That's not to say you can't or shouldn't use a laptop as a desktop and many do of course, now laptops are powerful enough and people only really use any of these devices as they do tablets and phones and that is as 'web terminals'.

Reply to
T i m

I've already broke one USB socket through having summat stuck in it all the time.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Oh dear, careless.

Reply to
Bod

Yes - the conclusion I came to. The small ACER is otherwise just fine for the things I use it for - mainly MegaSquirt based - but was hoping to speed up the boot time. Which takes forever - especially when waiting for it in the car. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

No, very poor design.

Constant wiggling has made the center bit fall out.

Its a cheap lappy. Very cheap.

But it runs Linux :-)

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher