Evo Stik "Serious Glue" with polythene

What happens if I use Evo Stik "Serious Glue" on polythene? The instructions say not to.

Does the polythene melt?

Does the glue refuse to bind to the polythene?

Reply to
Zakko

In message , Zakko writes

try it and report back ...

Reply to
geoff

That would usually be the case. It's a type of superglue, and sometimes they produce considerable heat during the curing process ( depending on the material being glued ).

Regards,

Reply to
Stephen Howard

But I would have to wait 12 months to know that a slow reaction over 12 months would cause the polythene rod I want to stick to crumble and break up!

Reply to
Zakko

No glue sticks polythene. There are 2 ways to stick it

meow2222

It's a strange superglue given how long it takes to even just hold something - let alone set fully. I've used it quite a bit and not noticed any heat. Not surprising given the time it takes to set.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Only thing I've found works on polythene is ordinary contact Evostick etc

- and not on a critical application.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

same here. I did manage to sort of glue to nylon with car body filler but it was more a suction thing than a proper bond.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

But any melting during setting would surely occur in much less time than that. Maybe 12 minutes at the outside?

If the instructions say not to - then I wouldn't expect it to work - I might try but only in the spirit of enquiry.

Reply to
Rod

cheers, Pete.

Reply to
Pete C ukdiy

It would show much faster than that

12 months is long enough for the sun's UV rays to depolymerise it
Reply to
geoff

A few ideas here:

(Scroll down to section headed "Gluing:".)

and here:

Reply to
Rod

A friend used to work at a lab equipment suppliers and they made polythene lab aparatus by glueing bits and peices together. Unfortunately for us (as its nasty stuff) they used to etch the surface of the polythene with chromic acid before bonding with a "standard" (what ever that was) solvent based glue.

Reply to
Ian_m