Router Springs

After the excellent response to the router base question, I now know I need some Countersunk Machine Screws.

Got another question for you all, How do I remove the springs from this router?

I've looked and can't see how it's actually held together.

The main body is half plastic, half metal. Don't see how to get these appart, can't see any bolts that are holding them together. I can take off one panel where the power switch is and I can see the spring (on one side) but I can't get it out. The other side is sealed.

Looking at the bottom of the router, after removing the base, I can see inside the pillars. One has some kind of round clip with two little holse in it (circlip?) The otehr pillar doesn't have one of these as far as I can see. I'm a little nervous about removing this clip as I'm not sure what will come off and if i'll ever get it back on :)

Any thoughts?

Thanks.

Reply to
jg

Would help if you gave the Model?

Reply to
ben

I'm betting it's not a known brand.

It's a "Craft" branded router bought from ALDI for £20

Thanks

Reply to
jg

[snipped]

Oh! well that rules me out.

To get the springs offa mine I just unscrew 2 black nut screws on the guides and it comes apart.

Reply to
ben

There will not be a universal way for taking off the springs. This will depend on your particular router. I suspect you might want to remove them to make it easier to adjust the router height? If so googling for 'router raiser' might give you some ideas.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Minchin

Something like:

help

Reply to
John Rumm

Then you are jolly lucky it has springs at all :-)

Dave

Reply to
David Lang

Without seeing the beasty its hard to guess. If this is a one-way conversion, why not (using an OLD pair of electrician's wire cutters) just cut the spring away?

Reply to
Mike Dodd

Yeah, I had thought of that, but the problem is, I can only get to one of the springs.

so my router would then be a bit lop sided :(

Reply to
jg

Why are you trying to take them off?

Reply to
John Rumm

To make it easier to adjust when the router is mounted upside down unde rthe table.

Reply to
jg

replying to jg, Dave wrote: If we are talking about the Aldi 1200W router then remove the springs as follows: Remove the motor brush housing cover - 4 screws. Remove the base plate tube plugs/covers - single screw each. Fully depress the plunge springs and apply the lock. Remove the 'circlips' from the top of the base plate tubes - circlip pliers are essential to reach. Release the lock under control and withdraw the base plate with tubes and springs - a gentle tap on the inner face of the base plate may be necessary to release the tubes. Extract the springs from the dust bellows and refit to tubes. Insert tubes into router body and refit the circlips, plug covers and brush housing cover. Works like atreat with a router table.

Reply to
Dave

you reckon he still has it unfixed after asking 13 years ago?

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

replying to tabbypurr, Dave wrote: Probably not but others may ask the question at some time.

Reply to
Dave

Thanks, exactly what I need. It's nice when someone knows what they are talking about than guess like most of the comments.

Reply to
Daveman999

Ironically of course, this post, coming as it does from the most annoying usenet portal on the web completely loses the original reply. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa

Hi just got the 1250W work zone router on ebay having the same problem easy to remove spring on one side very difficult to remove other side will look again thanks for post Tony

Reply to
tony P

For me it was just a matter of persevering. i was about to give up on removing either, but then i just seemed to get the knack and i’ve had them on and off 2 or 3 times.

Reply to
Daveman999