Router door hindge recess?

Most of the hinge jigs I have seen let you use them in situ on the frame as well as the door.

Most of the old school I have seen in action use the new fangled cordless drill in place of the brace and bit" ;-)

Reply to
John Rumm

True, but this is uk.d-i-y, diy is not usually associated with production environments. For a diyer or a home woodworker such tools are essentially vanity items. The OP indicated he had one door to do, he seems to have a router. For that job a commercial hinge jig is way OTT. At most the suggestion of using the router freehand to leave the line is the most practical use of a router, anything more is ridiculous.

Peter

Reply to
Peter Ashby

No, he said "Can you use a router to make the recess for door hindges on the door and frame" which doesn't indicate the quantity.

The most practical use would be to make a jig and use that. Freehand routing is a recipe for a disaster for an inexperienced user, which I assume the OP is, otherwise he wouldn't be asking the question.

MBQ

Reply to
manatbandq

Yebbut you'd have to buy/make/adapt a jig for every size hinge you are likely to use the corners aren't square so you'd still have to use a chisel if you can use a chisel you don't need jig or router difficult anyway to use a router on the rebate of a frame if you have a hinge you don't need a template it's much quicker with a chisel. But on the rare occasions when I would use a router it'd most definitely not be freehand but I'd take it right up to the line using the router's fence, with chisel for the top and bottom of the hinge leaf housing.

cheers Jacob

Reply to
normanwisdom

You can also get commercial jigs with inserts for different standard hinge sizes.

I had a go with one of these once

didn't buy it . It did work quite well though and was quick to set up. especially if one wanted to repeat on several doors.

I think that there is some value in these jigs for people who have difficulty using a chisel, although I think that the set up time might be better invested practicing cutting hinge recesses in scrap material.

Reply to
Andy Hall

Hmm! how does one clamp that jig to the door side on?

Reply to
George

Normally some kind of simple L shaped jig.

Reply to
Andy Hall

No, I disagree with that. A DIYer not particularly skilled in woodwork may not be able to get an acceptable result with traditional hand tools on this job, and yet ought to be able to archive very good results with a router and jig. So it does not seem fair to describe it as a vanity item.

A commercial one may be, however knocking one up out of a bit of ply and some 2x1" may be eminently sensible.

Not really up to you to decide what is, or is not, reasonable for someone else though is it?

Much depends on how much you value your time and the quality of the end result. If I did not know how to cut the rebates by hand, then I might be tempted to buy a commercial jig since it would give me top quality results quickly, without having to waste time making a jig.

Reply to
John Rumm

With a one off hand made jig, who cares once the job is done. With a commercial jig it will adapt to any likely hinge size.

Taking a corner out is not quite the same as cutting a whole rebate...

Reply to
John Rumm

Whoa! What did the OP ask again?

I just said for a couple of hinges it's do-able without a jig *if* a bit of care is taken.

I've seen a few dodgy chiselled hinge rebates done by tradesmen.

And I haven't seen many where the hinge screw slots line up perfectly, LOL :)

cheers, Pete.

Reply to
Pete C

They're not supposed to "line up" are they?

I thought they were supposed to be in a perfect 45deg chevron

/\ /\ /\ /\

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Looks like another completely unnecessary bit of kit which the likes of Axminster and co hope to sell to gullible amateurs - which applies to about 90% of their catalogue (and every other catalogue more or less)

Some bits of kit actually make the job harder and screw up your chance of ever learning how to do it properly (or easily) - chief amongst these being the honing jig/guide.

cheers Jacob

Reply to
normanwisdom

I would have thought a router and jig cut archive would most definitely be a vanity item. Compared to old fashioned acid free paper it would suffer from being much more bulky as well as being prone to attack by woodworm or termite, not to mention problems with distortion as the humidity changed, though I suppose you could use mdf, be tougher on the router bits and put the cost up, all in all I would have thought an archive cut into granite with a chisel would outlast a wood based one cut with a router and a jig.

Peter

Reply to
Peter Ashby

4 hole hinges? Very posh! ;)

I tend to do mine sloping the same way:

// // //

can do chevrons on request though.

cheers, Pete.

Reply to
Pete C

I use posi screws. Much easier to whack in with the drill. ;-)

Reply to
John Rumm

Jig a jig

Reply to
Stuart Noble

By time you have set up the jig to play with the router, I would probably have the door planed to size and hung on a pair of hinges. With regards to the "cordless drill", I must admit it makes things easier to get the bit to show through the face of the door a couple of inches in from the edge - and then spend the next half and hour wondering how the hell you are going to cover the hole with the door handles - especially on a 'polished' door.

Us real old timers seldom agree with the new fangled methods eh?

Seriously though, I am not a complete technophobe, but I do get a little concerned when people have to ask how to use some of today's power tools and wonder if they'll have a full set of fingers at the finish - and repairing some of their work, along with cleaning the blood off it, kept me busy for long periods of time.

Brian G

Reply to
Brian G

pair? Thought you would want to do it properly on three! ;-)

I am sure is it equally possible to cause just as much problem with a brace and bit though?

(must admit I did not usually think about that possibility of wreaking the face of the door that much, apart from once case a few weeks back where I was fitting the latch to a new solid engineered oak door for a mate (who *is* and old school chippy). It occurred to me then that making sure the hole was damn straight could save some serious embarrassment later!)

I don't know... seeing a way of getting the same money in less time is a powerful modernising influence I have noted! ;-)

;-)

Reply to
John Rumm

Yep,you have to buy a jig to secure a jig. Duh!

Reply to
George

I remember it as a commodity on offer in Arab countries. Now I know what they were referring to.

Reply to
Stuart Noble