Router door hindge recess?

Can you use a router to make the recess for door hindges on the door and frame? plus the door catch recess's any links to jigs or methods TIA
--
Vass
'02 R1, '90 CBR1000F

Yes.
Trend among others manufacture a jig

And our local B&Q warehouse stocks them. If you balk at the prices, a piece of harboard, a saw and guide collar for the router (also at the above B&Q) and you can make your own. Mind you for all that cost, time and effort you could have done it with a chisel.
Peter
www.the-brights.net
Peter Ashby wrote:

Pity you can't get hinges with rounded corners. Maybe you can these days

Instead you get those that look like half a biscuit and you use a biscuit joiner to cut the slot. Don't look very strong to me. And of course if they sold round cornered hinges nobody could sell those corner chisels you hit with a hammer. Anyone would think chisels needed such skill to use...
Peter
www.the-brights.net
On Thu, 21 Jun 2007 13:12:15 GMT, Stuart Noble

You have been able to for years, all the hinges in this house have rounded corners and are fitted to frames and doors made off site and just screwed into the openings on site. The house was built in 1980.
--
Regards,
Stuart.
Stuart Noble wrote:

Get square cornered hinges and a file and a few minutes work and you have round ended hinges. Simple :-)
I wonder why I didn't think of doing that years ago, when I bought a router? Frowns and thinks again.
Dave
said:

and
File them round :-) you can buy the corner punch for finishing off
http://tinyurl.com/ywuzeb
said:

and
No need,you can buy cutters for the corners they come in 2mm and 3mm quite adequate as I have 1 of each.
Stuart Noble wrote:

You can get a corner chisel :
http://www.axminster.co.uk/product.asp?pf_id !407&name=corner+chisel&user_search=1&sfile=1&jump=0
--
Cheers,

John.

Corner chisel is just another completely unnecessary bit of kit which the likes of Axminster and co hope to sell to gullible amateurs - which applies to about 90% of their catalogue.
cheers Jacob

Agreed, if people knew how to use a chisel they wouldn't need a thing like that.
Peter
www.the-brights.net
Peter Ashby wrote:

Makes sense in a production environment - get results more quickly, and you don't need to fork out for someone who does know how to use a chisel.
--
Cheers,

John.

said:
True, but this is uk.d-i-y, diy is not usually associated with production environments. For a diyer or a home woodworker such tools are essentially vanity items. The OP indicated he had one door to do, he seems to have a router. For that job a commercial hinge jig is way OTT. At most the suggestion of using the router freehand to leave the line is the most practical use of a router, anything more is ridiculous.
Peter
www.the-brights.net
On Jun 22, 10:53 am, snipped-for-privacy@blueyonder.co.ruk (Peter Ashby) wrote:

No, he said "Can you use a router to make the recess for door hindges on the door and frame" which doesn't indicate the quantity.

The most practical use would be to make a jig and use that. Freehand routing is a recipe for a disaster for an inexperienced user, which I assume the OP is, otherwise he wouldn't be asking the question.
MBQ

Yebbut you'd have to buy/make/adapt a jig for every size hinge you are likely to use the corners aren't square so you'd still have to use a chisel if you can use a chisel you don't need jig or router difficult anyway to use a router on the rebate of a frame if you have a hinge you don't need a template it's much quicker with a chisel. But on the rare occasions when I would use a router it'd most definitely not be freehand but I'd take it right up to the line using the router's fence, with chisel for the top and bottom of the hinge leaf housing.
cheers Jacob

You can also get commercial jigs with inserts for different standard hinge sizes.
I had a go with one of these once
http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page "90&filter=hinge%20jig
although didn't buy it . It did work quite well though and was quick to set up. especially if one wanted to repeat on several doors.
I think that there is some value in these jigs for people who have difficulty using a chisel, although I think that the set up time might be better invested practicing cutting hinge recesses in scrap material.

Hmm! how does one clamp that jig to the door side on?

Normally some kind of simple L shaped jig.
Andy Hall wrote:

Jig a jig