Roofing Options

I have a carport, currently covered in felt (that is leaking). I am considering three options:

  1. Remove and replace the felt (cheapest, but shortest life)
  2. remove felt and replace with EPDM (expensive and needs to be put down properly to achieve the best watertight finish).
  3. Remove the felt and Use corrugated steel sheets on the OSB; or
  4. Remove the felt and the OSB and used corrugated steel sheets on the timber roofing framework(issues with condensation)

What are the views of the readers of UK DIY as to the best option?

Cheers

Peter

Reply to
puffernutter

use decent felt. Corrie steel works but man its ugly.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

How about corrugated ali?

OTOH youtube vids suggest EDPM is DIY-able and a carport is not a critical location.

Reply to
Tim Watts

...and noisy in the rain

Reply to
JoeJoe

Fibreglass maybe?

Saw a demo of this in the local Selco...

...and it didn't seem *too* frightening as a DIY option.

Reply to
mike

I did my shed roof with the Cure-IT fibreglass system and it worked out wel l. Kind of tense getting it all on in time, and the mess created requires careful preparation for where you're going to put resin coated stuff, but d efinitely do-able. Ridged roller for de-bubbling is a must.

Reply to
JonT

Well anything like plastic or metal will be very noisy in the rain. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

OT: what a fantastic place Glasplies of Southport used to be. Some thirty-five years ago, my Dad used to drive there occasionally; our local Scout troop made fibreglass canoes and bought all the stuff from there. It was an old farm with everything just lying around, and ye anciente price list all typed up and roneo'd. It was a wonderful place for a teenager to wander about and play with the chemicals, rollers & all sorts.

It was at the back of beyond and I understand it was built on top of a glass factory or similar? you could unearth loads of old HP sauce bottles just by kicking around...

J^n

Reply to
jkn

harryagain

dering three options:

properly to achieve the best watertight finish).

mber roofing framework(issues with condensation)

I had to decide on what roof to go for recently. Concrete tiles some broken corners due to frost and the wind had caused the tiles to move wearing thr ough the old fashioned type of felt undeneath. I went for new everything wi th artificial slates and a long guarantee. Some of the felts are rather thi n now and the heavier fancy ones very expensive.

The slates have masses of overlap and are nailed in place so not much chanc e of them moving. They also fit a sort of bent over bit that hold down the bottom edges sometimes so that wind can't lift them if the pitch of the roo f is low.

Some of these types of slate go white after a few years so best look around and see what is fitted locally.

There is some sort of membrane available that can be simply draped over a r oof as it is but if a house and sold building societies don't like it. Some people have the back of the house done as passers by don't see it.

Flat roofs - osb board etc and a rubber covering. Cheap and works well. The y also sell bits and pieces to tidy it all up. Listed on ebay supplied cut to size. I'd guess it could be used on a pitched roof too.

Fibreglass shingles. They stick to the boarding underneath / nailed and are reckoned to last longer than felt. They need some roof pitch to work. Data should tell you how much.

Ordinary roofing felt. If it's going to last it isn't cheap. Some people us e 2 layers of torch on.

John

-
Reply to
ajohnlonger

nsidering three options:

wn properly to achieve the best watertight finish).

timber roofing framework(issues with condensation)

Be sure you understand the difference between metal decking and profiled cl adding. IME metal decking forms a part of a comprehensive roofing structure . On the other hand profiled metal sheeting can be got in a variety of colo urs/finishes and can come double skinned with an insulated inter layer and can be used for side sheeting as well as roofing. When used as a roofing ma terial the double skinned insulated type is not noisy. I have it on a garag e/workshop.

Reply to
fred

I have recently done three substantial dormers with EPDM - DIY. You may have to overboard the roof(9mm external ply?) as I believe EPDM does not like bitumen (if used on the original felt). But installation is simple if you follow guidelines (loads on Youtube). I used Permaroof for supplies.

Paul R

Reply to
Paul R

I presume this is a flat roof? If so, fibreglass.

Reply to
Peter Parry

Torch-on felt

Pricier than nail-on felt but very very good stuff.

Vortex11

If you can do it with one piece of EDPM then there are no joints to leak.

DICEGEORGE