BT Freestyle 650 green light flashing

Everything works fine, but the green light on the base unit flashes all the time. According to the manual it should only flash when being rung, during a call, or searching for handsets.

I have tried de-registering all handsets other than 1 and 2, but get a long beep indicating that they don't exist, which is true.

A call to BT got the answer "don't worry about it if it works". Has anyone else got the same symptom? If so, it must just be duff software.

Reply to
Dave W

A friend has an older BT set and both handsets have permanent messages along the lines of "Voicemail waiting" and "27 new calls" stuck on their idle screens. I've tried and nothing will shift them so can only conclude something obscure has happened software wise such as the NVRAM has been getting corrupted by a memory leak.

I always come to the conclusion that putting s/w in things is a mistake (and I say this as an ex-s/w engineer!)

Reply to
Scott M

Thanks for that info. I should have mentioned that the 'voicemail' symbol on the handsets is also flashing although there are no messages.

Reply to
Dave W

Yes, I know was there not a nasty hack done on some public domain software for a washing machine not that long ago. LG was it? Cannot remember the details, but they had to recall them for reblowing of the software. Apparently a guy just comes around with a thumbdrive takes a cover off, p bungs it in and then accesses a hidden menu and there you are.

I do honestly feel though that it is all using a sledgehammer to crack a nut in some appliences, which have worked perfectly well for years with mechanical switches and the like. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

"Brian Gaff" wrote in news:m967pg$lui$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

Mechanical switches must be getting more costly - hundreds of tiny parts. New machine programmes requiring different cams making - tooling costs, etc. Software must be the way to go - but with robust switching.

Reply to
DerbyBorn