Return to Imperial units consultation - are we wasting money on returning to imperial units

Presumably because measuring cups are much cheaper than scales.

Reply to
Rod Speed

Never seen that here and most butter comes in round plastic tubs now, and margarine almost always does.

Not convinced about that.

Reply to
Rod Speed

Never seen that.

Ours are often dual marked, numbers and letters.

Reply to
Rod Speed

Why don't you use digital kitchen scales ?

Admittedly that does require conversion with most recipes.

I find digital kitchen scales much better for that.

I do use those for the yeast with the bread maker and for the post fermentation bottle sugar for the beer brewing.

But I would prefer a fancy digital device for the beer bottle sugar, just haven't found a reasonably priced one.

Reply to
Rod Speed

Max Demian <max snipped-for-privacy@bigfoot.com wrote

In fact in that era they had a lot more knives than you poms had at that time.

Reply to
Rod Speed

A foot is 12 thumbs.

Reply to
Tim Streater

T'other way round, Shirley?

Reply to
Tim Streater

Waste of time.

Reply to
Tim Streater

alan_m

alan_m snipped-for-privacy@admac.myzen.co.uk> wrote

I meant I have never seen any shoe marked with both sizes on the sole.

Reply to
Rod Speed

Or 36 barleycorns.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Don't think so. This is takeoff weight, not range.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Ah, you mean it overloaded the damn plane? I remember reading about that one.

Reply to
Tim Streater

The one that sticks in my mind is the Gimli Glider (on Wikipedia but I have a fuller account in an aviation book).

That's why it is folly to mix units. We are mostly metricated now (although it has taken sixty years) and we should continue.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Yes.

Reply to
S Viemeister

I mostly do, but then you have to put the stuff in something.

The point is that, if you cook rice using the absorption method, one volume measure of (white) rice requires two measures of water (or stock).

Except when I use the electric steamer; I usually put about equal volumes in the rice bowl. Actually it's not critical; I think that if you put too much in it evaporates; if not enough condensed steam makes up the volume.

You mean you need a greater precision than 1 gram? You can get more precise ones, even to 1/100 of a gram [1], mostly used by drug dealers.

[1] Not saying they are that *accurate*. Important distinction between precision and accuracy.
Reply to
Max Demian

No, a kilogram is heavier than a pound

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

OK. I was thinking he was ending up short of fuel.

Reply to
Tim Streater

A local butcher has gone all the way, selling only in pounds of weight. Not a problem for me.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield Esq

Max Demian <max snipped-for-privacy@bigfoot.com wrote

Everything I cook is cooked in something, so thats what I weigh it into. In the case of the bread machine, the breadmix and then then water are weighed into the tin from the bread machine. In the case of the fruit cake, the big mixmaster bowl it is mixed in on the mixmaster.

And with the bread machine, you do have to finely adjust the amount of water as the breadmix varys with flour that they use in the breadmix and thats much easier to do with the digital scales.

I do rice that way, but in the microwave and weigh the rice and then the water into the rigid bowl that I microwave the rice in. And I add the curry to that bowl after the rice is ready and eat it out of that bowl with a splaid so its the only thing that ever needs washing in the dishwasher.

I only do rice in the microwave now, much more convenient once you get the quantities and times at each heat setting right.

No, just more convenient ot put the thing in the top of the bottle and press the button and then do the next one. I do a milk crate of 12 long necks, 750ml full sized bottles at a time sugar wise and then fill the whole 12 with beer from the fermentation barrel. That teaspoon of sugar is what does the secondary fermentation which carbonates the beer.

Yeah, but they are much less convenient to use.

Doesnt matter as long as they are reproduceable with beer bottling.

Reply to
Rod Speed