Return to Imperial units consultation - are we wasting money on returning to imperial units

Most butter has tablespoon markings printed on the wrapper, but lard and solid vegetable shortening generally do not.

Oh, I can understand using handfuls, cups, spoons, etc, _back then_, but not now. Many of them seem to think it's 'unAmerican' to use scales, especially if you measure in grams.

Reply to
S Viemeister

I knew what you meant. Just blame your spill-chucker.

Reply to
S Viemeister

Join a darts team and take your turn chalking up the score:)

Reply to
alan_m

Not really. The inside diameter defines the cross-sectional area, and hence the throughput capacity of the pipe.

Reply to
Roger Mills

Often 2 or more sizes written on the sole of the shoe, for different markets. These are often meaningless if it's a narrow shoe design and you have a wide foot :(

No standard sizes for clothes marked in small, medium, large, XL etc.

Possibly the marking of weight/capacity for things like sand and compost which can be packed dry or wet depending on the weather doesn't guarantee the quantity you get. My last purchase of sand was in a bag marked large.

Reply to
alan_m

I think it will happen that way, but its not an emotional matter for me. I don't care what units are in play, as longs as I know what they are. Peole will go along with whatever seems best for them

Japanese post waq all used American threads..

Practice. About ten years ago I stared doing daily killer sudoko. Now I have so much stuff memorised that I simply don't need to even work out what three unique numbers add up to 23 etc etc. In order to get us through the 11+ we did at least one quick mental arithmetic test very maths lesson for 5 minutes at the end. Headmaster would fire stuff at us - whats 2/6d plus 1/8d?. What's 51 divided by three? We learnt.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

+180!
Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I thought the fundamental unit was the Cubit.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Post war my mum never had scales, but she had teaspoons, dessert spoons and so on. I learnt to cook by just watching how much went in. Only with cakes did she weigh things out exactly, when we finally got an old set of scales

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Early scales were balance beams with sets of weights. Spring scales are not that great

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Except once you get below 1/32 you usually switch to thousanths.

Reply to
Rob Morley

I've got a set of cup measures, 1 cup is 250ml and there are 1/2, 1/3 and 1/4 cup measures.

I sometimes use an actual teacup which is about 200ml to measure rice and the water or stock &c. that it absorbs for a pilaf or similar.

And a set of spoon measures from 1 tbsp (15ml) down to 1/8 tsp (0.6ml).

Reply to
Max Demian

But both were de facto standards, and the pre-1930 UK inch being

25.399977 mm was for most applications identical to the post-1930 inch.
Reply to
Rob Morley

Butter used to be sold in 8oz blocks which was easy to cut in half and half again down to an oz. More difficult nowadays in 250g blocks as it has to be divided into 5 - though they do print a guide on the wrapping.

Do they still eat with their fork in their right hand as a family only has one knife between them?

Reply to
Max Demian

Usually expressed as "thou".

Reply to
Max Demian

Indeed. Just noticed I missed the "d". I'm a poor typist, not a poor speller. :-)

Reply to
Rob Morley

That sounds Canadian. The Canadian cup measure is 250ml, while the US one is 237ml.

Reply to
S Viemeister

Most are taught to hold a knife in the right hand and a fork in the left, cut a piece of food, then put down the knife, switch the fork to the right hand, shove the food in their mouth, then switch again for the next bite.

Drives me crazy.

Reply to
S Viemeister

It makes for *very* slow mealtimes ;-)

Reply to
NY

NY snipped-for-privacy@privacy.invalid wrote

Only with heavys, light aircraft still use volume.

Not really and the fuel is actually measured by volume not weight when the heavy is filled.

Its more complicated than that with stuff that packs down differently like with flour etc.

And with modern digital kitchen scales much easier to do too.

And much easier to just keep adding incredients to the bowl with the scales zeroed between ingredients too. And you don't have the measuring cup to wash when you use the scales either.

Reply to
Rod Speed