Recomendations on Central Air Units......

I'm going to be installing central heat and air in my house within the next few months so I am doing research now. I'd appreciate some recomendations AND I'd like to know who and what to avoid. I live in a very small house at the moment (850 sq. ft.) and I live in the south. Thanks.....

p.s. What about the "mini-duct" systems?

Reply to
Frank B.

If you're in the south you can do heat pump. 850 sq ft is not big so the cost shouldn't kill you. I don't make or sell heat pumps and have only ever had one of them. They are not too cost-effective in the winter at the 40th parallel.

[Just by mentioning heat pump a lot of posts will be made about pump vs conventional, then what kind of pump, then what SEER, etc etc.]

You can also supposedly get a tax break depending on your choice -

roger61611

I suggest that you center your quest on the installer and not worry about the equipment.

In the end it will be the choice of equipment (type size etc.) and the quality of the installation that will determine how happy you are with the end product.

No one here has seen you home, or measured it for the calculations needed to determine what the proper size would be. Only a local professional is going to be able to do that work. If you have a good professional they will only recommend good equipment that is available and has parts available in your area. It is usually best to follow their recommendations.

Start asking around friends and neighbors for the names of those who have done good work for them. Also you might want to get the names of those they did not like to make sure you don't get them.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

You need written heat load and duct calculations to make sure everything is sized properly, oversize the AC and you will remain humid, undersize it you won`t cool. Get a written guarntee on temp performance winter and summer. Consumer Reports did a poll of apx 35000 over maybe 8 years on basic reliability and found one thing obvious that was well known already, Goodman takes last place. Do you have ducts inplace.

is a good place to research efficiency

Reply to
m Ransley

I had my heating and air conditioning system replaced last year. I got York. The only problem I have with it is that the heater blower is very loud. I don't know if that is typical of the high efficiency units, but I know it is a lot louder than I expected. You might want to check into that before you buy.

Bill Gill

Reply to
Bill Gill

i use trane in my rentals. they very seldom break,and last a good 20 years+ .i like the 10 years parts/labor warranty also..i would seriously look at a heat pump as nat gas is going to continue to go up. up north here, im seeing heat pumps go in with a line they put in a 100 ft hole in the ground. these things really heat cheep. lucas

ds549