Replacing DVD player

I have a Dell PC with a very dead Philips 8631DVD player and have been given a brand new LG GH22 replacement, problem is that the original is PATA and the replacement is SATA. Can I buy an adaptor or is it a non starter? Whole thing is a PITA ;-)

Thanks

Reply to
johno

Adaptors are readily available. e.g.

John Rumm

En el artículo , johno escribió:

Millions of 'em on ebay starting at about a quid, if you don't mind a wait for it to come from China.

I bought a selection of different ones ranging from about 80p to 2.99 last year. Most of them worked.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

In message , johno writes

Yup, you can get a converter for a few quid, eg. first one I came too:

Reply to
chris French

Yes, adaptors are cheap, but they dont always work. Ubuntu is known for not liking them.

NT

Reply to
NT

Personally I've had mixed success with these adaptors, last one I tried over Xmas was only ever intermittently recognised by the BIOS so I gave up. Bought a brand new Pioneer PATA DVD burner with Nero burning SW for 14 quid off Amazon, barley more than a PATA-SATA adaptor.

Bear in mind you might need a PSU adapator as well as data bus, depending on adaptor.

Reply to
airsmoothed

This is pretty much the same DVD burner I got from Amazon, now 18 quid, still not much more than an adaptor:-

airsmoothed

How old is your computer? I would be very surprised if it didn't 2 or 4 SATA ports available on the motherboard which you could make use of.

Reply to
Rob

Thanks for all the replies, much appreciated!

Reply to
johno

En el artículo , NT escribió:

Don't talk bollocks. It's not an OS issue, it's a hardware issue.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson