Replacement windows

Glass could certainly be described as insecure :) Glazing tape is the solution to external glazing/beading. The upside of it is units don't tend to mist when they unseal.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Yes there will. If you remove Bolton&Paul timber windows there is a scallop in the back of the frame (that you cannot see from outside) which will be filled with mortar.

Crystal windoows advised measuring the brick opening and allowing for a 5 mm gap to allow for this.

Some of the 1970's timber frames weren't even exact rectangles !.

The catnic lintel above my kitchen window was 6 mm higher on one side and it wasn't obvious because the gap was filled with mortar. If I had measured the higher side, the UPVC window would not have fitted.

Reply to
Andrew

Not so sure about that.

I replaced a tiny window with a 2 meter wide (approx) one. So had to form and entire new opening for it including lintel. 6mm isn't a lot to allow the new unit to be installed absolutely plumb.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

You didn't measure the diagonals? More fool you.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Our aluminium windows are powder coated the colour we anted. We had them fitted 10 years ago and I would never have anything else but I have always hated plastic windows.

Jonathan

Reply to
Jonathan

Wouldn't have helped.

The brick opening was exactly square but the lintel was not horizonal and the rain deflector at the top of the window, plus the lintel were mortared over in such a way that it wasn't obvious that one side was higher than the other.

Reply to
Andrew

+1
Reply to
Andrew

My cousin has had triple-glazed doors and windows fitted that are timber but have a powder-coated aluminium outer cladding. Came from Norway I think. V.V.V. expensive.

Needed four people to fit them because they were factory glazed too.

Reply to
Andrew

I'd think anodised would last better. Bonding any coating to ali is very difficult.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr