Double Glazing systems - does it matter

Hi,

I am thinking about having some double glazing installed in some windows. I live in an (approx) 10yr old terraced house.

I have heard that there are different types of 'systems' that are in use - rehau and profile22 are the most common ones that I have heard of.

Does it matter what system to go for. I have tried hunting round for any advice on what systems to go for but there is not much info in this. The last guy that came round said he used plastmo. Each have websites but (obviously) each claim to be really safe - striong and relaible.

Does it matter which system to go for? Are there good and bad systems? Also are there differing qualities within any system. For example If I decode to go for Profile22, does this mean that anyone suppling profile22 windows will all give me ther same thing, or can there be varying degrees of quality within profile22 windows.

Many years ago a builder told me that some of the cheaper double glazing windows were not steel reinforced - they were just a plastic frame with glass. Could it be that someone offering profile22 windows supplies only plastic ones and someone else supplies profile22 steel reinforced ones.

There are so many fitters in our area its difficult to compare like for like - each says the system they supply is the best. I have had quotes startng at =A3250 up to =A3500 per window (for the same type of opening etc).

Some offer supply only. How easy are they to fit? I would not be altering the opening at all - just replacing

Finally, if I do repace I would be replacing a double glazing window that is already there. I am replacing as I dont like the way it opens (its a full window tilt and turn). Is it possible to get the old window out carefully and then use it somewhere else (if course if the dimensions match etc)

Thanks,

Bhupesh

Reply to
bp

Is there some problem with some of the dg units you've been offered? If not, question answered it would seem. Or just not relevant.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

They're not too difficult to fit yourself ( Google this group for details) but you then have to get them certified by the council, which adds to the cost. Might not be worth the hassle if you can find a reasonable fitter.

Reply to
Stuart Noble