Repairing holes in rendered wall

Am considering wall insulation. The sponge finished rendering is 3 year old and freshly painted 1 month ago and in excellent condition. Would you trust the installers to fill the holes to match the rest of the wall. I was thinking maybe to ask them not to make it flush with the wall and then I would come along and do my own mix and filling (carefully). Would I need to know the exact grade of sand the renderer used and what sort of sponge he used.I don't want to have any scars/shadows as to where it was plugged.

What do you reckon guys.

Reply to
Justine Time

Man at B&Q

I reckon you'll be lucky to achieve a perfect match, not least because the mix used for the render may not work as a shallow filler. You could do worse than dose a normal sand/cement mix with pva and finish with a dry washing up type sponge. IME knowing how long to leave it before using the sponge is the difficult bit. Not too wet, not too dry etc.

Reply to
stuart noble

Installers tend to make a dogs dinner of this bit. Really if you've no idea how to get a matching finish, its unlikely you will.

NT

Reply to
Tabby

most of them ;-(

Agreed.

But if you've got spare paint it should end up a similar colour, if not shade and texture.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

In that case I would be prepared to pay the guy who did the rendering to do it, but then, even though he has been in the business a million years or so it could be difficult/impossible for him to achieve a perfect finish.I will contact him. I would sooner go without insulation than have patches all over the walls. Thanks guys

Reply to
Justine Time

It's impossible, even if he used the same mix the next day.

What about injection from the inside? That's probably easier to repair invisibly.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Absolutely. Not hard to get a good filled finish. Another option is to skim the outside after its done, with cement mix.

NT

Reply to
Tabby