Water in bottom of block wall

I had too drill a couple of 4" holes through a concrete block wall and I lost the center bit for the coring saw twice. The first time I managed to fish it out with a magnet. That's when I noticed that the bottom row of blocks has about 6" of water in them. I thought this was a little strange, should I worry about it? One wall has a funky green colouring near the bottom, looks like algae, but it's probably mold.

I was going to drill some half inch holes to drain the water, but I'm not sure this is a bright idea? The room is an entryway for an outside stairwell and has it's own drain.

Reply to
Bill Stock

You obviously have moisture getting into an exterior block wall. It may be even worse because it sounds as if this wall is not facing a conditioned space. Water alone will not harm the block. If you live where it freezes, the ice will break the block. The green algae will probably not harm the block.

The best thing would be to dig up the outside and waterproof. If your area drain is working, I think I would poke a hole in the bottom cells to let standing water out and a discreet hole above grade to encourage air movement. I would guess that the block is painted and sealed up for it to be holding water.

Reply to
DanG

Even better, provide a proper grade away from the foundation for at least 12 feet.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

Water can dissolve the lime, calcium and other water soluble ingredients of the concrete block.

Reply to
tnom

you need a interior french drain with sump pump.

theres lots of other things you can TRY but the interior french drain is the 100% solution.

been there tried all the rest:(

Reply to
hallerb