Peeling Paint In Bathroom

I am a new homeowner and this was my first time painting a room (bathroom), so being new at this I made a several critical errors I am sure... After painting and then removing the tape from the baseboard, edges of showers, etc. A large amount of paint is coming off with the tape :(

To add background I prepped the surface with the TSP solution (per this NG) after patching nail pops so I doubt this issue is with surface being dirty. Being new I will admit I didn't prime the room as I should have, another lesson I learned along the way. To help with the lack of primer I added a second coat of paint for coverage issues and the paint looks good in most areas except where I have pulled the paint off...

Any help with why this is occuring? Should I be leaving the tape down longer or pulling it off sooner (I let the paint dry several days before removing the tape)? Most of all how should I repair this? Is patching or priming necessary before repairing?

TIA.

-MW

Reply to
MikeWazowski

Did you use painters tape, were walls glossy, a top quality paint used . Patch sand and paint the bad areas and forget about it

Reply to
m Ransley
1) Buy either the best quality masking tape you can find, or the blue tape specifically designed to come off easily.

2) Remove ALL tape within an hour or so or painting.

3) Primer is nothing but paint without color, and without the ingredients that produce different surfaces (gloss, semi-gloss, flat). If the surface you're painting is in excellent condition and NOT glossy, you can go ahead and paint without priming. But, considering that even the best primer is not as expensive as paint of the same brand, you have to weigh the risk of having to paint twice vs the $$ saved by not priming. And the time, of course.

Generally speaking, if I'm painting over a prior flat painted wall and it's in good shape, AND color coverage isn't a major issue, I won't prime. If I'm painting in a place (like a bathroom) where perfection will result in a few more years' worth of not painting again, I'll prime heavily, and also add one of the anti-mildew products to the paint. The stuff comes in a tiny bottle and is mixed with the paint. Ventilate heavily and use a SERIOUS breather mask, or expect to be visiting the emergency room within hours or days, based on the experience of two friends.

Reply to
Doug Kanter

Reply to
nospambob

Reply to
Perry Templeton

I've painted latex over oil primer and oil finish coat. When in good shape, it worked fine, even with exterior paint on my wood garage. Never painted over GLOSSY oil finish coat, though.

ingredients

Reply to
Doug Kanter

Yeah....it didn't make sense. I spent plenty of money for super-quality oil-based glossy paint for some of the garage trim, to be sure certain kinds of junk wouldn't stick to it. Since I'd rather be fishing, it made no sense to have to paint twice, so I never tried painting over it.

Reply to
Doug Kanter

did you use plain old tape or did you use the new blue painters tape??? that will make a difference... the new blue tape can be left down for about 2 days without sticking.. if you use the old tape it will stick as soon as you put it on....

Reply to
dbird

The way I read it is. The paint isn't sticking. I don't care what tape you use. If the paint isn't sticking- there's something wrong.

Screw that. it's unnecessary

Bullshit. Primers do many things, but in this case anyway we are talking about BITE.

, and without the ingredients

You forgot to mention porosity.

you can go ahead

I'll bet you've never heard of XIM?

you have to weigh the risk of

With what?

Prime heavily? WTF does that mean? Pile it on? You don't understand what primers are about.

and also add

This would assume you live in a humid climate. Paints are formulated for different climates.

Have you got other additives you believe in that you'd care to enlighten us with?

******************

No one that I can see anyway has addressed his issue.

How large? What did you paint over? Did you rinse well after TSP? After 10 days or so, can you 'easily' take the paint off with a finger nail?

Reply to
3rd eye

Based on my experience, it never hurts to remove it right away, unless I'm painting around intricate details like certain types of molding, where it's difficult to remove the tape without touching what I just painted.

Never heard of it. My experience and price comment is based on comparison of products like Devoe primer vs Devoe paints. Apples to apples. Get it?

Do you think a bedroom wall in a dry climate needs exactly the same treatment as a bathroom where it's humid?

Bullshit. Very few bathrooms have perfect ventilation, even with a fan installed. You do NOT have to live in any particular climate to make it worthwhile to add an anti-mildew agent when painting a bathroom.

Reply to
Doug Kanter