Peeling paint in bathroom

Last year I foolishly painted a newly built shower room. Incorrectly I failed to prime it first and used an eggshell paint. The humid atmosphere and possibly drying out plaster means that now the original coat is peeling all over the place and my wife is hopping mad and wants me to resolve matters asap. How can I remove the remainder of the existing paint without damaging the plaster ? I had thought of using a wallpaper steamer perhaps ?

More importantly, what should I have done ?

Thanks Paul (feeling very sheepish)

Reply to
PHG

I bet it was Crown paint. Same happened to me, despite primng the wall. Peeling patches, little spider like crazed patches, paint easily knocked off. Ended up removing, old paint, skimming the wall (can't get paint off without damage to plaster), priming with Dulux plaster primer and Dulux Kitchens and Bathrooms and was as "tough as nails" as they say. Never used Crown since.

Reply to
Ian Middleton