Repairing a Screwdriver

Sounds daft? This was my Grandfather's, so it has sentimental value.

It's a Guys Model MR ratchet screwdriver, and the little wotsit for switching between forward and reverse has stuck. But I can't get the thing open! Any ideas?

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ

Does it not have a ring near the blade end that unscrews?

Reply to
John Rumm

maybe post closeup pic of mecha

Reply to
meow2222

At the base of the blade is a knurled ring that rotates with the blade. It does look as though this is separate from the blade.

I've seen others that have a separate non-rotating ring - like the Stanley Yankees - but this doesn't. I'll try a little torque on the knurled bit.

Picture?

Andy Champ

seen like that usually have a small screw holding the shroud that covers the ratchet mechanism. Removing the screw allows you to slide the shroud off down the screwdriver after you've pressed the ratchet reversal switch in.

It may be that the shroud is just crimped on, perhaps before the handle was fitted in which case you'll have to pull the handle off first.

Personally, I think some of our parents were *way* too attached to old tools that were way past their useful life. My father had a huge collection of useless screwdrivers with worn and badly resharpened blades.

Tim

Reply to
Tim Downie

maybe post closeup pic of mecha

Could it be gummed up - a case for trying paraffin or WD40 to clean it out

Reply to
John