Rented apartment - Carpet - Large stains.

Our daughter just finished uni and has taken a rented apartment close to where she intends to work. - It's not without it's problems.

Probably worst is that there are a lot of dark dinner plate sized stains on the carpet adjacent to wherever people sit, probably caused by years of cups of tea or coffee being spilled and just left to dry naturally. I sent her along to the Landlord's agent to report the state of the carpet, he just shrugged and said the previous tenant had "Done a Moonlight", the carpet had been "Professionally Cleaned", and this was the outcome.

I then lent her our Vax carpet cleaner but the result was no better.

So ... Ideas please. What's better than "Profesional" carpet cleaning that she can do herself (Not a "VAX" it seems)? IGWS, short of putting herself out or spending an appreciable amount of money.

Derek G.

--

This Looks like Finito Ruperto.

Reply to
Derek G.

In article , Derek G. writes

Rug Doctor with lots of pre treatment on the stained areas. The machine has an oscillating brush bar for that beats as it shampoos as it cleans type action. Avail for hire at at least 2 big supermarket chains and many dry cleaners for about 15quid a day plus (overpriced) branded shampoo. Pre treatment sprays avail from there too.

I'd be inclined to try a small are of stain with a bit of regular carpet shampoo, a scrubbing brush and lots of elbow grease to see if anything is likely to shift.

Get loads of pics of the stains for a moving in record and copy to the agent as they will likely have a memory lapse when your daughter leaves and blame them on her.

Reply to
fred

I've found Vanish carpet cleaner aerosol pretty good on reasonably fresh stains. Work it in with a nailbrush and leave to dry, then hoover. It works well on grease/oil/tar stains that you bring in on your feet from outside, etc.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Rug.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

+1
Reply to
S Viemeister

Seconded.

Reply to
ARWadsworth

In article , Derek G. scribeth thus

FWIW she ought to take some pictures of that and give them to the landlords agent and keep them as well so when it come to moving out time shes not lumbered with the damage and her deposit isn't held back for that!...

Reply to
tony sayer

Think "Hopscotch".

Derek G.

--

This Looks like Finito Ruperto.

Reply to
Derek G.

Yes, I was about to suggest rugs.

Mike

Reply to
MuddyMike

+1

Go through the place with a fine tooth comb and the inventory checking that every item that is listed axctually exists and that it's condition is noted on the inventory.

The agent/landlord won't like to spend the day doing it on moving in but you can bet your bottom dollar they will on moving out...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice