Removing trv's

Hi,

I need to remove a radiator for decorating purposes but it is fitted with a trv. I have never removed one of these before and after a quick poke around can't find any obvious way of fully closing the valve so i can remove the radiator.

Can someone point me in the right direction please.

Thanks,

I.

Reply to
I J H

There usually supplied with a shut off cap, which goes in place of the thermostat, otherwise turn down to zero, valve will only open if it gets to cold not much chance this time of year.

Dave

Reply to
Dave Jones

Sometimes called a 'decorating cap'.

Reply to
Jerry.

If you have lost the cap and it is likely to get cold, take off the thermostat, set in on 5 (highest temp) stick two 5p coins inside the head (the bit that actuates the valve) - these act as packing pieces, then screw the thermostat head back on the valve assembly. Now turn the thermostat down towards the zero or frost protect mark until it gets fairly stiff - don't force it. Now your valve is guaranteed shut and you can remove the rad safely (of course you did shut the valve at the other end of the rad, didn't you?)

Dave

Reply to
Dave Gibson