Gabian baskets

Hi I'm using weldmesh to make gabion baskets to support a bank in my garden, has anyone any experience of doing this. Any tips or advice would be very handy.

Many thanks Roger

Reply to
Roger

There has been some stuff about gabions on here in the recent past. Try a seach.

Reply to
Michael Mcneil

In article , Roger writes

If you haven't yet bought the mesh then buy the boxes ready made, making them up is a real pain and I don't think the difference in price is that great. Ready made comes flat packed with enough special rings and clips to form them into boxes with ease. DIY means jointing the edges with (many) loops of tough fence wire, a real pain.

If you must DIY then make them say 2m long by 1m by 1m with a separator half way along to make 1m cube boxes to avoid them spreading. Alternatively scale the sizes for 0.75m or .5m cubes.

As previously advised, do a search, but in summary, hand fill with regular shaped stones for the best effect with all stones larger than the mesh size, if you get fed up with that, hand fill the front and top faces and backfill mechanically or by friends lobbing in rocks.

Ask if you need more detail.

HTH ps mesh and wire must be galvanised, no plastic coated.

Reply to
fred