Removing non water based wallpaper adhesive

Whilst removing some wallpaper we discovered that it seems to have been stuck on with an adhesive that is not water soluble. It softens under the steamer and I can get the paper off but the adhesive stays behind as a sticky mess.

It's only woodchip. A friend suggested they might have used bathroom adhesive.

Any ideas on how to get it off?

Reply to
Geoff Berrow

VERY slowly in my experience. I recently had to remove the same stuff from my bedroom prior to painting !!!

Reply to
Franko

Ah, this sounds like just the stuff I'm after - see my post about damp ceiling. What have they used to stick this paper on with?

Reply to
GB

LOL, yes I just replied. I wouldn't recommend it unless you never ever want to get it off again. But I'll ask the previous occupants.

Reply to
Geoff Berrow

The previous owners don't know the name of the product as it was applied by contractors. Sorry.

Reply to
Geoff Berrow

we had something similar holding on a border. Sticky rubbery stuff like label glue. A lot of scrubbing with scouring pads, then 2 coats of base coat paint to smooth the surface finish a bit.

It wasn't copydex or similar, because we found where they restuck some edges and that was even worse.

Reply to
Chris Hodges