Damp ceiling

We have a flat roof that has always been a problem since it was installed 60 years ago. When it rains heavily (as recently) there is a tendency for water to sit on the roof in a puddle, and some dampness penetrates. There is not enough damp to see, but occasionally it loosens the celing paper, so that has to be stuck back (with Pritt Stick). If we re-paper the ceiling is it possible to get an adhesive that won't come unstuck so easily, perhaps one made for bathrooms or other steamy environments?

Reply to
GB

That isn't the solution.

If the roof leaks, even "slightly" over a period you probably will suffer rot, mould, ........... etc. You really need to fix the roof. I assume that, in 60 years, it has been maintained? If not, esp. if it is a felt roof, it is long overdue.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Reay

Can you get on the roof?

cheers, Pete.

Reply to
Pete C

Just bear in mind old flat roofs were deliberately designed to puddle. This kept the felt cool more of the time, thus slowing material degradation and extending roof life.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

I knew someone was going to say that. It was re-asphalted 10 years ago. Coping stones were added to the two walls that run either side, and someone has just been on it and 'waterproofed' over 4 or 5 what he described as 'suspicious cracks'.

Any damp that gets in dries up in a few hours. Does anyone know if there is any wallpaper adhesive around that won't peel away at the merest hint of damp?

Reply to
GB

Yeah, it's sticking woodchip to one wall of my dining room...:-(

The paper comes of but the glue stays where it is. Nothing seems to shift it. Dunno what it is though.

Reply to
Geoff Berrow

.. >>Any damp that gets in dries up in a few hours. Does anyone know if there is .. >>any wallpaper adhesive around that won't peel away at the merest hint of .. >>damp? .. >

.. >Yeah, it's sticking woodchip to one wall of my dining room...:-( .. >

.. >The paper comes of but the glue stays where it is. Nothing seems to .. >shift it. Dunno what it is though.

I am in the process of stripping all the walls of our house (acres of woodchip from previous owners) with help from a steamer and I find if you get the paper off then go back over again the glue gives up with the steam.

Mike P

Reply to
Mike P

Not this glue. It's like Cow gum. I've no problem with ordinary paste.

Reply to
Geoff Berrow

Sounds like bone glue. Sort of soluble in hot water, but not very.

I've had this on woodchip ceilings and have never found out what it was. Impossible to get it off plasterboard without losing the paper surface

Reply to
Stuart Noble

It's rubbery. Apparently it was put on by the contractors who did the conservatory. I suspect it was a way of attaching paper to plaster that wasn't quite dry.

Right now the only solution that looks like working is to get rid of as much paper as we can by steaming and then skim.

Thank goodness it's just one wall.

Reply to
Geoff Berrow

Brian is dead right If you ignore the problem you may have a worse one later Either water is coming in or condensation is occurring or there are hygroscopic salts in your substrate you are trying to glue to You need to establish the source of damp first and fix it not stick it! Use an endoscope in a small hole in ceiling (1/2") next time it rains to see if water IS coming in If so dont pay the man who put on jungle juice and get it done properly with a free floating roof with upstands not cut into wall but on proper timbers if not the roof but condensation look at past entries as to what to do If hygrosocpic - remove and replaster

I deal with this sort of problem for a living and flat roofs are a common area of decay particularly if the covering is poor chris

Reply to
mail