removing gaffer tape from DG units

The idiots who made up my DG units have put gaffer tape all round the edges of the units to protect the edges from chipping during transit. Problem is I now need to get this gaffer tape off & its proving a real bitch because its stuck to the black stuff inbetween the two sheets of glass. I do I get this stuff off without destroying the middle bit of the units ?!?! I don`t particulary want to use some kind of solvent for fear of breaking the black seal between the sheets of glass.

Steve

Reply to
Steve

The black seal is probably polyurethane and will be resistant to solvents, but test a bit first. Short of using solvents you could use washing up liquid and try and work it under the edge, slow process though. I think you'd be best with a pure alcohol like Isopropanol as it will reactivate the adhesive, but add a little bit of oil of some kind in to the Isopropanol, as that should neutralise the adhesive from taking hold again once the isopropanol has evaporated.

Reply to
Simon

Call up the company that supplied them and ask them. At least that way you are covered if they get damaged.

Reply to
StealthUK

Call the company that supplied them and ask for replacements ... if you can't remove the "protective" gaffer tape w/o risk of damage, then you've been supplied with goods that are pretty clearly not fit for purpose.

Julian

Reply to
Julian Fowler

HOLD UP STEVE!!

I just re-read your post properly. That tape is supposed to be on there as part of the sealing. It's not transit proptection. Don't remove it!

Reply to
StealthUK