Removing DG units

Sorry - this has been adressed before in this group and I've tried the suggestions that I remember.

My neighbour has 2 misted units; the leaks are due to physical damage to the seals. A local firm has quoted £160 + VAT to replace them or £50 + VAT just to supply them. The units are about 20 years old and about 20mm thick and 350x1020mm. The glazing strip is on the outside (yes, I know...). I've had a goodly struggle and haven't managed to remove anything; this is complicated by the fact that I'm 'experimenting' on mine (identical) so don't want to use too much force. Could some one please tell me how to get the lobody things out before I induce a crackfuckit!

Thanks.

Reply to
PeterC

Normally, if the glazing strip is on the outside, you first have to remove the rubber sealing gasket from the inside. Once the gasket has been removed, the DG unit, and the outer glazing strip, can be pushed backwards (ie inwards), and that then enables you to unhook the glazing strip from the main frame and remove it. Once that has been removed, of course, then the glass can simply be lifted out.

Reply to
Ret.

According to the double glazing salesmen its supposed to be a doodle, but I have also tried and its not easy

Reply to
Markt

I second that!

It's best to remove the units in order to measure them accurately before ordering the new ones - even if you have to put them back temporarily.

Reply to
Roger Mills

Yes, that is exactly how my cold shield units are cnstructed. In between the glazing strip and the glass there is some spongy putty like smelly gunge, no idea what it used to actually be though!

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

have also tried and its not easy

Pay the extra £100.

Reply to
stuart noble

Often the rubber on the inside tends to break up as you try to get it out, so you will need a new roll of it for each window. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

In message , harry writes

Why would he want another misted unit?

Reply to
Bill

Typically when the beads are on the outside the seals on the inside are double sided sticky and you have to cut through them to remove the glass. All the stuff about the beads being outside being a security risk forget that you have to cut the inside seals.

The actual beads can usually be removed by levering with a blunt blade.

Buy some new double sided sticky seals before you remove one or you wont be able to refit it securely.

Reply to
dennis

Typically when the beads are on the outside the seals on the inside are double sided sticky and you have to cut through them to remove the glass. All the stuff about the beads being outside being a security risk forget that you have to cut the inside seals.

The actual beads can usually be removed by levering with a blunt blade.

Buy some new double sided sticky seals before you remove one or you wont be able to refit it securely.

I've got that type of unit and I agree that the internal double-sided tape needs to be cut in order to get the units out. When they replaced one of my units, the fitter first cut through the tape, then removed the outer beading with something like a putty knife placed in the middle of one of the longest beads. Once that had popped out the other 3 seemed to come away with little trouble. They made it look easy, haven't tried it myself!

John M

Reply to
John Miller

It is easy when you have an array of bits and pieces in the van. Sourcing seals and stuff isn't easy and a 50 metre roll may be more than you need.

Reply to
stuart noble

That's the bit that I can't get out. It'll slide along a bit and I can get a lever into it or grip it with snipe-nosed pliers but I took it to the point of tearing and it was nowhere near out.

Reply to
PeterC

Yes, there are 2 reasons for getting one out: to see if I can do it and to get an accurate measurement. I just don't want to use a destructive method!

Reply to
PeterC

That reminds me of when I took some very worn brushes to a local garage and asked if they'd "got any like these?". Answer: "No, all ours are longer than that".

Reply to
PeterC

There's no tape on these and the seal can actually be moved, with some force, along a bit (just the amount by which it'll compress).

If I'm buying a couple of units I should be able to blag some seal.

Reply to
PeterC

The seal in ours is a rubber strip easily removed with a screwdriver.

Jonathan

Reply to
Jonathan

IIRC not easily put back without it breaking though. Replacement not easily tracked down, and so on :-)

Reply to
stuart noble

Our external bead DG units don't use double sided tape for retention. Instead there are expanding plastic locks which prevent the external bead being removed. the 'locks' are about the length of a credit card and in two sections which slide against each other lengthways. The join between the two parts is angled and toothed.

After the DG unit is fitted, a thin blade is inserted behind the seal until it engages with the lock. It is then slid sideways to make the lock expand against the bead. I've tried Googling for this device but haven't managed to find it. I did have one as a sample before the DG was fitted but that was well over 20 years ago, so heaven alone knows where it is now!

Reply to
Terry Casey

I wish mine were!

Reply to
PeterC

Nothing like that here. The seal seems to have a complex profile that'll go in past the strip but won't come out. The company that fitted the windows was, IIRC, Stern Fenster, so it might be a cunning Teutonic method.

Reply to
PeterC