Re: Thatch roof + barbecue/chimenea distance.

Hi,

> My neighbour lives in a thatched roof cottage. We are having a patio > built outside our back door an I'd like to build a cretan-style > barbecue/oven on it and have a chimenea. Does anyone have any > guidelines as to how far away from a thatched roof I need to site > these. The oven/barbecue would be charcoal burning so presumably not > be too dangerous re sparks but a chimenea would be wood burning. > - Alan >

I'd be very careful of the barbecue ANYWHERE near thatch. Think of the hot gasses and the wind direction. I'd be tempted to site it at last as far away from the thatch as the thatch is high.

I mean its not likley to catch fire - but if it does..would your insurance pay up?

Building regulations stipulate at least 2m above ridge height for any chimney top with thatch.

If in doubt, don't. There are some specific regulations for thatch, but I cannot immediately find them.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher